Time to increase??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am half way through week 9, been on 20mg since the start but have still not really made any progress, my health anxiety is still really bad and in fact sometimes feels worse as i am now afraid to look at my skin as every mole, freckle or blemish has me worried even little tiny dots on my hands.

I saw my dr last week and she wanted to increase me to 40mg but following advice on here i decided to give my current dose more time but now i am wondering if i need to increase?

Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

my health anxiety is up also, i am so nauseated and have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks so now he wants to do an ultra sound on my abdomen but all my blood work came back normal so i dont undertanad why. do you still feel anxious and nauseated

• Posted

I think weight loss is normal on these meds, ive lost a stone whilst on them but still eating normally just lost appitite in the first 2 weeks

Ive not got the nausea anymore that went in the first couple of weeks but my overall health anxiety is still really bad. At the moment i cant even look at my own skin without worrying, even tiny freckles or blemishes scare me.

Hope you start to recover soon as health anxiety is awful, what does yours focus on?

• Edited

hey Graham,

I'm in 10 weeks today on 20mg. As we have discussed I've had a lot of the same health anxiety you have and a lot of the same physical symptoms. I didnt think it was ever going to end. However, I'm happy to report that the last week or so has actually been pretty decent. Little by little I'm seeing improvement and the symptoms are letting up. I hope you too will see some improvement soon. All the best and keep on pushing forward my friend.

• Edited

Thanks Randall hopefully next week ill start to see an improvement as well then fingers crossed.

Ive been really bad last few days even worrying about little freckles, blemishes and tiny blood spots on my hands as well as the usual worries about my other moles etc

Maybe I just need to give the 20mg at least 12 weeks before increasing

• Edited

Hi Graham, give it until 12 weeks, this kind of medication nearly always makes things whole lot worse before it makes it better.

depending on what you are taking it for, the anxious have panic attacks that they didn't have before, the depressed feeling even lower and, as in your case, those who suffer with health anxiety are convinced they have some incurable, it's going to kill me within months, illness, I myself was convinced that I had HIV, even though I am a mature female, who does nothing to warrant catching such an illness, I laugh about it now but oh boy at the time it was not amusing at all!

You are doing well, your side effects are beginning to disappear and I am sure you will start to see some improvement regards your health anxiety in the coming weeks

• Posted

Thanks Sue i will take your advice on board and give it 12 weeks before speaking to my doctor about increasing.

My health anxiety is pretty much focused on skin cancer and i worry about every mole, freckle or blemish even though my moles have been checked by my doctor. Its got that bad that i am afraid to look at my body and even looking at the back of my hands sets off my anxiety

• Posted

It's definitely a tough road my friend. I still wake up anxious and have good and bad days, but the good days are getting better and the bad days more mild.

• Posted

Just to provide an update, I saw my doctor today as i needed more propronolo which i take alongside this and i spoke to her about increasing and she wants me to go up to 40mg as my health anxiety is still really bad. I said id rather increase slowly and go to 30mg but she wants me to only go to 30mg for a week then up to the 40mg

She wanted me to start the 30mg straight away but as im working away next week im going to stay

on 20mg for another week as dont want side effects whilst away

• Posted

hello again bud,

I dont know the side effects of increasing dosage on account I have never done it. I've heard it can be pretty intense though. How are your abdominal pains and all that doing? Mine subsided for a while, although last night I felt them come back on a bit...and I had a bit if heightened anxiety yesterday and this morning. I am becoming used to this, affectionately refer to it as riding the waves. I definitely dont prefer these days where it shows its ugly face, but i am seeing some progress and we just have to take the little wins one at a time as they come.

As usual, all the best my friend and good luck

• Posted

Hey the abdominal pains have pretty much gone away now and only occasionaly feel them although i do still get some discomfort in my groin and testicles

My overall anxiety is still bad though with constant worry over anythink i see on my skin and im afraid to look at my skin still at the moment.

Really happy for you that you are making progress and are able to deal with the anxiety better now

• Posted

hi graham

im sorry your struggling mate

upping the dose isnt always the answer, 9 weeks in is still very early to call whether the dose is right for you or not.

it takes an awfully long time for your brain to settle, these meds work very slowly,

i was on 20 for nearly 6 months & i felt it was too strong so ive dropped down to 10 over 6 months & going to stay there for a while.

There are good people on here that have given me sound advice regarding.

hope it help mate

rob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.