Time to increase the dosage?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking 20mg of Fluoxetine for 4 weeks now. The first 10 days were the hardest - couldn't get out of bed or self care at all. I switched to an evening dose and it made a huge difference - effectively sleeping through the side effects.

My problem is though that over the last week or so the suicidal thoughts and anxieties have started to creep back in again. The strange thing is that in the past when I've felt like this it is also been accompanied by heightened emotions that I just haven't been able to regulate - crying incessantly, not being able to face the world, irrationality. This time my head feels quite clear. I'm not an emotional wreck. I just simply wish to not be here anymore. It's feels very detached. I'm wondering if it means the Prozac is working but that maybe my dose is not high enough?

Any advice would be much appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bluebird,

I experienced something like that around week 5 on the fluox but it was accompanied by wild mood swings and worsening intrusive thoughts. Those type of side effects improve for most people, but they didn't for me. After week 8 I had to get off, but don't let what happened to me discourage you. Response to medication and side effects varies wildly from person to person. I'd say stick it out a bit longer and try to stay positive and productive.

I wouldn't consider increasing dose until after week 8, regardless of what doctors say, because all the terrible side effects will reappear for another few weeks until you stabilize at the new dose. The important thing is to get stable on the new dose. I think what you are experiencing is the meds actuall starting to kick in, as most people will feel worse before feeling better.

Hang in there, you'll get there in the end!

• Posted

Fluoxetine can cause restlessness and anxiety. That may be why you're experiencing those feelings. I've just started on it about 5 days and have had heart palpitations, nausea and headaches. I'm also coming off of Paxil 45mg. I am having flu like symptoms also. I've taken fluoxetine before many years ago and it didn't bother me. The psychiatric nurse practitioner I see says it's a very activating drug. That's why some people have the anxious feeling. Supposedly it goes away after a few weeks. How long have you been on it and how many mg are you on now?
  • Posted

Hello . I was told over and over again, by my friends and doctor, That I wasn't giving the tabs long enough. I am on week 10 now, and am getting a lot better. You just have to persivire. And they doc work .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.