Time to Pee.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Excuse the expression! I have always hd a slow urine flow and time to start. More recently it is a bit slower and drugs such as Finasteride and Tamsulosin like statins just give me so much grief. Does anyone have an idea how long it should take to start flow and get rid of it all. Me, I take 5 to 7 seconds to start and about 20 to 30 secs to clear a cupful. I am considering the operation but Dr tells me there is a 1 in 5 chance of some incontinence. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Happyhacker:

When you say "get rid of it all," are you asking when the meds you are taking will make everything go away?

Also, which operation/procedure are you considering that has a 1 in 5 chance of some incontinence?

Dave

• Posted

Don't have any surgery before trying Rezum, PAE or Urolift first. None require anesthesia and none will make you incontinent and at least one will probably work for you.

You need full diagnostics before doing anything - scope and urodynamics. In the meantime, Alfusozin works as well as any of the other Alpha blockers for most with way less side effects

• Posted

I didn't always have a slow urine flow, but as I got older, it started slowing down over a long period of time. I was on Tamsulosin for about a year, and it helped for awhile, but then even that didn't help. I was also on finasteride for awhile. It would take me at least a minute to void about a urine sample cup. I was referred to a urologist, and it turned out that I was retaining a liter and a half of urine. That raises the question, how do you know that when you fill a cup that you are emptying your bladder? I had both a cystoscopy and a urodynamics test. It turns out by bladder was enlarged and neurogenic. Since that time, I have been self cathing 4 times per day to empty my bladder. My uro has mentioned surgery, but offers no assurance that that won't resolve my problem or create new ones. Being on a schedule and not having to deal with sudden urges to pee or getting up several times at night has improved my quality of life. If you have not had a complete battery of tests to diagnosis of your problem, I would encourage you to do so.

• Posted

One in five is 20%, not very good odds for incontinence. I would be finding another doctor as it should be 5% or lower, 20% is unacceptable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.