Time to stop

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

My husband and I have been drinking every day for years. It has now got unacceptable getting through 4 bottles a night between us. My husband had the opportunity to go on nights (mon, Tues & Fri) he took the role as an opportunity to cut the booze out mid week. We were really excited and I said I would do the same, then all this sunny weather came and I carried on. He was supportive, but I knew he was disappointed. I have managed to do 4 weeks of not drinking Tuesday and Wednesday, today is my first Monday to stop. We always said that if we could stop mid week (3 nights) then that would be a massive achievement, so let’s hope I stick to the other two. It’s so hard when it’s sunny and the footy is on ????

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I hear you.  I have dropped from 2 bottles each night to 2 units.  But the sun does make it much harder (stupid really, but then any excuse) - I don't follow football, hubs does, but then I could easily pick a 3rd and 4th just coz it is on - balmy or what.  Then I think "what is wrong with me for goodness sake be the bigger person".  It just shows you how really hard this journey is and a constant battle.  Hope you managed it nevertheless.

G.

• Posted

Well done

Moderate drinking, I like it.

I am hoping, as I cut down gradually, my body won’t allow me to drink so much.

I managed not to drink yesterday, but on the downside, it cost me not watching the game and going straight to bed miserable.

I apparently missed an amazing match.  England were on fire.

Time goes so slow when you are not drinking.

Boring as hell. I just hope that once my body adjust, I actually start to enjoy my non drinking days 😖😖😖

• Posted

That's a bummer heather.  I stuck to 2 and yes they were on Fire.  You will find that your tolerance changes.  I can't drink what I used to since tapering. 

Don't give up and good  on you for not being tempted.

G.

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I hear you, thinking/hoping a change in circumstances would help to stop.

My fiance and I (only not married yet as we can't afford to - ironically if we stopped drinking we could!) he gets up at 3am so goes to bed really early (7-8pm) should be that I stop drinking when he does, but it's the opposite. I disgust myself sometimes with how many bottles of wine I can put away on my own.

The thing is we know what we are doing to our bodies and bank balance but we can only ever get a good grip on it for a week to ten days.

Always here if you want to talk.

S xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I don’t think I have ever gone that long, so good on you if you have.

Well yesterday I really surprised myself. Lovely sunny day, England playing, perfect excuse for a drink. Instead, I decided to miss the game, which I hear was amazing, and go to bed. The main reason for this was that one bottle of wine would not be enough, I would need two and I am so fed up  and disgusted with myself with drinking so much.

I have done two days now without drinking. I am so miserable, fed up and the week is dragging soooooo much.

I just want to be able to enjoy a drink over the weekend, then not touch it during the week.

It’s like being on a diet. As soon as you are in one, all you think of is food. 

All I think of is having a nice cold glass of wine. I never touched the stuff until evening, so why do I think about it all day?

😩😩

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I agree with you that time does go slowly when you are not drinking - I have just downloaded some new games on my phone which I have found to be really addictive and can spend hours on it making the time speed up smile

It's mad, almost like when someone says you mustn't look but... / oh don't think about.... your immediate reaction is to do the opposite! 

When I say being good I mean dropping down significantly not going without, just never lasts for us sad

How are you getting on?

S xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.