Timing of PIP application

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI, everyone.

My husband's current PIP award expires in September.

As he has been awarded by Tribunal, he received a reminder from DWP.

We are going to make a new application, but me and my husband disagree with the timing.

I suggested to him to contact DWP for the application form now, but he thinks we should get support letters from his doctors first to make sure we will send support documents with the form.

Usually it takes a few weeks to get letters from his doctors.

I am nervous about loosing the opportunity to apply by waiting for doctor's letters or is it ok for us to apply anytime within his current award period?

Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would collect all evidence to go with the application form. Daily visits to surgery can speed things up. Usually I go see receptionists and ask them to print off what I need. Mine are very helpful. That way you have the complete package to submit at the same time.

• Posted

Hi doesn't it have a date on the letter saying when you need to have it back in? When does your claim expire, am I right in thinking that it's a new claim your putting in.

Don't send the same information you sent with his last claim, you need to contact your husband's consultants/GP and get up to date support letters for him.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi, AlexandriaGizmo,

Thank you for the reply.

The letter we received is a reminder which says his current award will end in Sep and if he wants to apply for a new claim, he should contact DWP for requesting an application form.

There is no dead line or date in the letter to contact them but as long as I am aware, he should apply before his current award ends?

I will comtact to his doctors asap for supporting letters asap.

• Posted

Sounds like a long way off but time flies and before you know it the 8 weeks has flown by, any advice will always be available online but if your remotely worried contact CAB as mostly they are very helpful

• Posted

You can apply now and send in supporting documents later. As long as your husband puts his name and NI no. on them.

Even though you were awarded your claim by a tribunal be prepared for the DWP to cut it again.

I was given mine until June 2019 and in November last year I was asked to go to another medical and was given a lower grade immediately even though my problems had worsened and I had supporting letters from surgeons and doctors and I had won my appeal for them to look at it again!!!! On appearing at a tribunal I lost that also.

Even though I protested that I should still have my higher rate until June 2019 I was told that DWP can call you back at any time. I was shocked. I had to hand my Motability car back in January (first time I have been without a Motalility car in 20 years) and have been housebound ever since.

• Posted

Hi,

If you have received a letter from DWP asking about re-applying then i wouldn't delay that process. If you haven't received the letter then he should receive it soon because usually they contact you about 14 weeks before the award is due to end. It can take months in some areas just to have the face to face assessment, as most have these then expect one. If the decision isn't made by the award end date of his current claim then payments will stop. If his claim is successful then he'll be backdated to the date it stopped.

You need to send evidence that supports how his conditions affect him, rather than just letters about a diagnosis. Remember that the last time he applied DWP refused his claim and this could happen again because he was awarded by the Tribunal. I'm not saying this will happen but it certainly can.

When you fill out the form make sure you add as much information as possible about how his conditions affect him. If you need to use extra paper to do that then make sure you add name and NI number to every sheet.

I would advise sending the evidence with the form, rather than at a later date. When you return the form DWP send your file to the health assessment providers, including the evidence you send with it. Sending evidence at a later date could mean that it won't be forwarded onto the assessment providers. When a decision is made they rely heavily on the report that was written. He can take it with him to the assessment but sometimes they refuse to accept it on the day, this has happened to me a couple of times. Now i make sure i send everything when returning the form.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the advice.

Yes, he has received a letter of reminder a few weeks ago.

Then his mother got ill and we had to stay with her to help, so we haven't contacted DWP yet.

We should request DWP an application form and arrange doctor's letters now, shouldn't we?

Does the claim start from the day we contact DWP, then do we have to send everything in one month from the date?

I will be back home today from his mother's tonight.

I will contact DWP tomorrow.

• Posted

I'm assuming there's no timescale on the letter you received as to when you need to contact them by? If there is then you need to contact them by that date. If there isn't then yes you should contact them ASAP because that clock is already ticking.

The time starts from when they send the form out to you and there will be a date on the letter you receive with the form when it needs to be returned by, it's 1 month yes. If you don't have enough time then ring and request the extra 14 days extension.

Do you have any other evidence other than a letter from your GP? This isn't the best evidence to send because a GP will only know the basics, they don't usually know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

• Posted

There is no timescale on the letter.

I am thinking to send letters from GP and his sleep clinic doctor (I hope they can give us the letters in time...) consultation report from his psychologist, letter from me and 2 week diary describing his typical days.

He also has an appointment for pain clinic but it's a month later, so we won't be able to send their report with the application.

Ant other evidences you cam suggest?

• Posted

I have no idea what else to suggest for evidence, sorry.

Just make sure you put as much information as possible when filling out the form. Adding real life examples for each descriptor that applies to him will also help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.