Timolol eye drops side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Dr just put me on Timolol eye drops, a beta blocker type.  I have a headache & extreme tiredness, unsteady gait.  Has anyone else experienced this.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, Timolol is one of the worst of many. Tell your doctor to switch to Betaxalol and Travatan. You will see the difference and your eye pressure will drop dramatically.
    • Posted

I must say Betaxalol is your favourite eye drops. I tell you these do not suit every one like me. I have tried it thrice over last one year but it had no effect on my IOP. 

wishing you the best

• Posted

I haven't experienced those symptoms. Do you practice punctual occlusion? That will help from getting too much in your bloodstream.

• Posted

Thanks for info.  Yes I do but still cannot tolerate Timilol!

• Posted

I have been using Timolol for four years with no known side affects until possibly now.

I had 6 episodes of fainting/flush feeling on Thursday morning - all within 6 hours.  Finally went to a clinic.  BP was fine, blood sugar was fine, CBC showed nothing wrong with blood, no dehydration, even a clear EKG.  Doctor did ask about the Timolol and mentioned the beta-blocker getting into the bloodstream.

I have an appointment scheduled with my opthamologist in a week and a full physical in three weeks.  Is it really possible these episodes were a side effect of TImolol?

I've never figured out how to block the tear duct before inserting the eye drop.  Does that really help?

Thank you

• Posted

If you are are using the combined Dorzolomide/Timolol drops, just get the Dorzolomide drops without the Timolol. It is the Timolol that causes vertigo.
  • Posted

Does Timolol cause double vision; plus I have heavy tearing in one eye
    • Posted

Christine,

I have been using Latanaprost, Timolol, and Dorzolomide (all separate drops) for 4 years.  I was diagnosed with glaucoma at 50 and have blindness in the bottom left quardrant of the left eye.  Stopping a drop without finding an alternative drop or treatment does not seem to be a good option based on the rapid vision loss I had without drops.

I have not noticed double vision.  I am seeing my opthamologist and surgeon in a week to address my recent bout with fainting spells.  Some say it could be related to beta-blockers (TImolol) as other medical issues seem to be ruled out (ekg, blood sugar, blood pressure, hydration all ok).

I have been thankful for the drops in controlling pressure as the thought of early blindness is frightening.  However, I am trying to be sensitive to possible side-effects that are affecting quality of life.

You may want to check with your doctor.  I have switched drops in the past based on allergies.

Hope the double vision clears up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.