Tingling and shocks.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all.  I'm 47 years old and started with many of the usual symptoms last year.  I too suffered with irregular but painful periods,  hot flushes, anxiety, depression, heart palpitations, extreme tiredness and insomnia.  At the time time these symptoms were terrifying until I started to get a tingling sensation throughout my body and occasional shocks mainly in my legs, arms and back.  My dr seems to think that the shocks are caused by my stress levels but I'm convinced it's something serious.  He has also done several blood tests and has since given me a high dosage of vitamin D and encouraged me to exercise, see a therapist or take up a new hobby.    Has anyone else experienced this?  Please advise.  Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been through all that symptoms from 49years old and now 55 I can say they all disappear reappear from time to time it does get better so don't beat yourself up to much they will stop one day..I'm not completely free from all this crap but not feeling like how I was then hot flushes is still bothering me..I'm learning to live with it and thinking positive it will passed one day.

• Posted

All sounds pretty common to me.. without the hormones all your musles and joints are effected and you get aches and pains all over . Back issues are also very much part of it. It effecta your circulation .. hense the pins and needles .. the shocks are your nerves adjusting in the samw way the rest of your body is. And yes stress and anxiety will make them worse. There are so many weird sensations that come and go with peri menopause. Ive lived with chronic ilness all my adult life ..but that in no way prepared me for the weirdness that has come with peri.  One thing after another.. you just get your head around one lot of syptoms and they seem to settle..then wham.. the next batch of crazyness comes along to keep you anxiety ridden and gasping for breath.  
  • Posted

Dear faz

I have read some women get electric shock sensations in their heads, I have experienced them mainly in my hands, im two years in meno and can still occasionally get them x

• Posted

I know what you re goingthru, I'm getting heart palpitations, breast pains, anxiety, panick attacks, muscle and bone pains, bloating, scalp pains, headache, to name but a few,even flu like symptoms, burning eyes......... 

Sorry but sometimes   you  think you are dying, I know too well how scary. It can be and sometimes  my families think I'm Going Crazy with all the complaints about my Symptoms, today it's one of those days, I feel sooooo tired and weak and can't do much, I even had to skip work today. So so horrible cause so e days Im symptom free and it's bliss. Been in peri for two years now.. 

• Posted

Yes i had it all. The tingling was all on my left side of my body. I slept on the couch for almost 2 months. Also had tingling in my head i had to end up getting cortisone shots to ease them. I went through hell for a year and a half feeling like i was dying. I still have a few symptoms here and there but not like before. Now my feet swell when i ovulate or time for my period. I haven't had one in 199 days. I have a calender where it tracks days and i can note how I'm feeling. Good luck and hang in there. Oh one last thing I've put on tons of weight around my mid section. I tbink its perimenopause and eating the wrong things because I'm frustrated i can't loose the weight.

• Posted

Thanks for your quick response ladies.  I feel so much better after hearing your accounts.  I'm very grateful for this site as it helps to talk to people who are experiencing the same problems.  I wish that there were classes or groups where women can chat to each other face to face.  Good luck and take care of yourselves.  Kind regards.

• Posted

I have tingles in my body and pins and needles feeling and also zaps in my head. Have also had a lot of anxiety and soar muscles and joints. My Gn gave me Estrogel and Progesterone which has helped but I do know that stress does make my symptoms worse.  What I've come to learn is that chronic stress depletes your adrenal glands which affects your hormones and makes perimenopause symptoms worse.  I've been seeing a Naturopathic doctor which has helped me a lot.  I'm taking a lot  of supplements for adrenal support and magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin b12.  Magnesium also gets depleted with chronic stress.   I've had so many tests done for my symptoms and it seems that doctors don't know anything about hormones or perimenopause and just send you for tests.   I'm glad someone else had had the tingles in the body and pins and needles feelings and head zaps.  I haven't seen too many people have those symptoms so I was glad to read that.

• Posted

Hi Julie.  I'm sorry to hear that you too are suffering with these horrible symptoms.  I share many of your symptoms and a few odd ones like internal tremors (feeling shaky inside), clumsiness, forgetfulness and shaky hands.  I found an article on line highlighting the 66 peri menopausal symptoms which helped me to understand things better.  I've also read that yoga and breathing exercises can help with stress and depression and I try to go for a short walk everyday to relax and clear my head which seems to be helping.  All the best Julie and I hope that you feel better soon.  Kind regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.