Tingling ankle after plate and in cast

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula a week ago, plated with 2 screws and in a cast, told NWB for 6 weeks. Had no problems with tingling in my ankle/ foot the day in hospital, rather overdid it in hindsight the next day, going in car to get wheelchair and the practice walk on crutches along the road, and practice time in wheelchair. The physio had told me that I might get some tingling if I had my foot down, but since that day the ankle/ foot tingles constantly. I have been scrupulous since then in spending 97% of my life flat in bad with leg elevated, getting up only for loo, meals, and bottom shuffling up the stairs, but whenever I do get upright my leg tingles even more, feels painful, and the toes go purple. My toes are not cold, my sensation is normal, and the capillary return is fine ( when toe pinched, colour comes back quickly- husband is a dr). He says it is likely the nerves and small vessels are being  compressed by the post op swelling. Would really like to know if this has happened to anybody else, and if so did anything make it better? How long did it last? Should I ignore it and try and do more ( even I think that sounds crazy, but impatient at  being bed bound)? Any advice? Janey

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janey,

It is different for everyone, I had my ankle fusion 18/1 and then had hardware removed late April. I have had some strange feelings, lots of people on here say it is nerves and muscles reawakening. Which I think is probably right. Swelling apparently last for approx 12 months. The physio gave me some compression socks which aren't glamourous however, do help with swelling. I don't wear them all the time, sometimes I go commando. lol. My ankle/foot does not go purple however swelling is pretty impressive. I don't really think there is anything you can do except what you feel comfortable with. I did ice and rest, now I just go leg up after I have finished for the day. I am just thankful that I am now out of the moon boot and weight bearing, even if Im not walking properly yet. Hang in there girl it does get easier. Your lucky you have a dr for a husband.

• Posted

Thanks for responding so quickly, and I am looking forward to being where you are. Think it is clear that everyone is different, but that swelling very common!
  • Posted

Hi Janey. It is early days for you and it is normal to feel all sorts of weird feelings in your toes/ leg. Try to move your toes for circulation to start. With time, all will settle. Make sure you don't put your foot down if you are NWB. Also elevaye your leg as long as you can. Don't overdoit as bone has to heal. You will notice that your leg sweels terribly in the cast f you sit for too long in the wjeelcjair, so my advise is to alternate the wheelchair with long time elevatng your leg. Drink lots of water and eat everything that contain calcium. 

I am week 10 post ORIF ankle surgery for broken fibula (plate and 6 scres) and partial weight bearing for the last 4 weeks and walking in a boot. 

• Posted

Hi Bridg

Thanks for your kind words, and useful to know that other people have swelling after being in a wheelchair. I am indeed eating my Greek yoghurt and drinking lots. Poor you with 6 weeks NWB, and speedy recovery. Janey

• Posted

Hi..I too broke my Fibula and have a plate and 6 screws. Its been a week, I'm in a splint and half a cast.. Still relying on pain meds to get me through the day. Did doctor put you in a boot or cast..and when did you feel Some of the major pain get better. If I don't keep my foot elevated it really hurts. This has been quite an ordeal. Any advice would be appreciated, seems like I have awhile to go.

• Posted

Hi I had my ankle surgery just bought six months ago and I also had lots of tingling and often shooting pains,my swelling wasn't quite as bad I took lots of wholefoods to help my body get rid of toxins and inflammation. I know how stir crazy you can go being bedridden try looking online for some guided meditation to listen to

Also might be a good time to learn a new language. Be patient with yourself

It will take a while but it does get better.

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Just what I wanted to hear that I was not alone with my tingly feelings. Meditation and refreshing my French sound excellent!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.