Tingling/burning sensation after stopping Metformin?

Posted , 1 user is following.

So about a year ago I was prescribed Metformin because my doctor diagnosed me as pre-diabetic (she also said it would help with my PCOS as well). If I had known she was going to do a spot check on me that morning, I wouldn't have eaten cold pizza for breakfast. Anywho, since then I have been taking 500mg Metformin every night. I had lost 30 pounds with diet and exercise and she said I could stop taking it. 

Well, I didn't stop and continued taking it. A couple months ago, I decided I would stop taking Metformin and see how everything would be. I soon developed a belly button yeast infection (gross!), I just felt...like crap. But my bloodsugar was normal the entire time. Maybe the belly button thing was a coincidence, who knows. When I stopped the Metformin, I would wake up to a numb hand every morning. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night to just a tingling/burning sensation. It was honestly terrifying to me. 

So I started taking Metformin again and the tingling/burning sensations dissapeared.

I know Metformin can cause nerve damage. But what I've read was people having these issues when they're ON Metformin, not when they're off of it. I know I should discuss with a doctor but I recently moved and I haven't gotten insurance yet with my new job so...yeah.

I'm also a terrible patient for not following doctors orders. 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.