Tingling, burning, stabbing pains, various symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I have read quite a few posts on here and can relate so much to it !

I was dx a year ago with nerve damage due to an autoimmune condition, my symptoms were tingling in both arms, hands, legs and feet. I didn’t realise until reading through posts on here that other symptoms are probably down to nerve damage ie burning sensation in chest, upper and lower abdomen and back, this was dx two years ago as heartburn though I didn’t think it was! I also get sudden stabbing pains on either side of my head. A few weeks ago I had a stomach bug, this has left me with upper stomach discomfort a bit like a pulled muscle, but I am now thinking it is probably a nerve thing. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes stomach bugs can leave behind problems such as gastritis or IBS if your bowel habits have changed.  Gastritis causes stomach pain and sometimes burning. Residual stomach pain that feels like a pulled muscle could be a muscle strain if you have been vomiting when you had the bug.

If this pain coninues after a week, see your doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Pippa

My stomach bug was seven weeks ago, it was an upper abdominal griping, lower abdominal cramping, diarrhoea, no vomiting, raised fever and loss of appetite, every now and then I get a bit of griping followed by an air bubble feeling filtering down my system, this I think is residual, I have had the muscle type feeling for about a week, also thinking that maybe it’s to do with the bug or something triggered by my autoimmune condition, the burning that I have experienced for over two years is down to it I think, it’s gets really confusing working out where different symptoms come from,  Isound like an hypochondriac!! But my autoimmune thing causes so many different things!  it messes with your head, had it for over thirty years.

• Posted

Best to see a doctor to confirm where these symptoms are coming from. They will be more likely to work out the cause.  I find trying to figure medical stuff out myself too complicated and I find it more helpful and reassuring to see my doctor.
  • Posted

My neuropathy was from a side effect of harvoni for hepatitis c, at least that's what the neurologist thinks

• Posted

So confusing isn’t it kennyatw, well the symptoms are! I didn’t realise that nerve damage can cause tingling and lots of other things especially burning sensations, I hate all these things, I rarely talk about them because I would come across as an hypochondriac or even  putting it on! Hope you are ok at the moment.
    • Posted

Well my rheumatologist is passing me off to neurosurgery to see if they have any ideas what to do. Meanwhile I had a nerve ending test yesterday at my neurologist office he said that it is still about the same as the last one I had done about a year ago supposedly. I don't trust doctors though, they never give you a straight answer

• Posted

I try to not go to my doctors because I come out of the surgery not content with the diagnosis! To be honest I tend to just live with the aches and pains associated with my AS and there has been plenty of them over the years haha My last visit to my GP was ok though because he fully explained what was causing the tingling and numbness, I found that taking a Vitamin D supplement has reduced the tingling a great deal.
    • Posted

I have been taking all types of vitamins including vitamin d. But they don't seem to be doing any good

• Posted

Hi annette 1956,

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine, except mine began with shingles in my torso, which caused pain up my spinal nerves. This turned into postherpetic neuralgia which lasted 18 months. However, two years later it returned, along with new pain from top of old spine pain, round upper torso, along with allodynia. Later developed pain on sides of head and round eye sockets, and in hands and feet. MRIs of brain and entire spine were clear. Nerve conduction test/emg also normal. Diagnosis is currently allodynia and hyperalgesia with a history of shingles. Can I ask what your autoimmune condition is? I echo the earlier comment about seeing your doctor too.

• Posted

Hi anon987654

First to say, my condition is Ankylosing Spondylitis AS for short, dx 21 years ago but can trace it back for a good few years before that. I too get the eye socket pain and sinus pain, so many nigglely aches and pains! My abdomen feels more sore now on the upper abdomen but mainly along my middle, my weight and appetite are ok, I think it’s just something that will work itself out, I also think that the original bug could have triggered my AS off and caused the problem that I have now, these triggers have happens countless times in different areas of my body, anything worse than a cold sets it off! My mum had shingles years ago and she says that she is still getting problems from it! I haven’t heard of Allodynia, what is it? 

• Posted

Hi,

Ah, I've heard of ankylosing spondylitis. It must be very painful. Sorry it's caused you nerve damage. Allodynia is an element of neuropathic pain (I have chronic neuropathic pain), https://patient.info/health/neuropathic-pain)

• Posted

Yes it is, it's excruciating without meds. Sorry your AS has caused nerve damage. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.