Tingling in calves and feet

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had PMR for several years, and up until the last year was mostly controlled by prednisone down to 5.  The rheumy added (one at a time ) 4 different meds to try to help me get off pred.  None worked .  A year ago I had to increase my pred. And now I'm up to 27 ( down from 30) and not completely symptom free... some mild girdle area, especially hamstring pain.  But I've developed a new tingling in my calves and feet.  It is worse after playing sports.  Anyone else experience this?  Idea of the cause?  Why suddenly after so many years?  It's very tolerable, but concerns me as it is new.  Thanks for any thoughts on this development. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it sounds to me like neuropathy. This is nerve damage which can be brought on by having an elevated blood sugar level. It is well established that taking prednisolone can increase your blood sugar levels. I suggest you speak to your GP. If diagnosed with neuropathy, there are well established medications that can help. I have neuropathy and take low dose amitriptyline. Good luck.
  • Posted

You may have acquired a new disease in particular a new autoimmune disease since they tend to come in groups. You know you get one and you get another and another and it just keeps falling like dominoes.
  • Posted

Hi Bethune, sorry to say it does sound like neuropathy. I am a diabetic and have had neuropathy for years, but the Pred has made it much worse. After my flare I also had to go up to 30 mg, currently tapering to 10. As you decrease the Pred, I think the neuropathy will decrease also. Good luck on your journey. Think positive. 🙂

• Posted

Dear Michdon,Thank-you.  That is what I feared.  Glad to know it decreased with dose reduction.
  • Posted

Is your doctor sure it is PMR? Haven't come across the tingling you mention though - something to ask your doctor I think. It could be neuropathy - but I hope your doctor has been monitoring your blood sugar levels while you have been on pred.

• Posted

Eileen, yes we have been monitoring.  I am at prediabetic  levels.  I've altered my diet and am not at all overweight. And very physically active.  Might be time to return for a diabetes check with my GP.

Kinda depressing how every treatment for PNR leads to trouble somewhere else.   Thanks for your suggestions!

• Posted

I had this tingling before I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I thought it was a symptom. The Pred has relieved the tingling /burning dramatically .
    • Posted

Thanks Daisy, your response is interesting as many have found the pred. Causes the tingling.. so much uncertainty with this illness! Ugh!  Thanks for your response!
    • Posted

Last year, the Pred side effects was in my mouth mostly my tongue, very uncomfortable. And when I posted the symptom several other people also had similar side effects. Pred does strange things. Good luck with your journey. Think positive. 🙂

• Posted

I had tingling down to my feet and hands for maybe 6 months before and after diagnosed.  It lasted for maybe 6 months to a year.  After almost two years with PMR, Pred start 15 mgs and now down to 5 -51/2 mgs, there is  still threat of a slight tingling when feet/legs are immersed in a hot bath. 
    • Posted

Peggy, its always a bit comforting a new symptom isn't unheard of and that others have improved.

• Posted

I have had tingling and a bit of numbness in my legs and feet since shortly after starting on 

Pred 3 years ago.   It varies from day to day.  Doctors say it is small fibre neuropathy probably caused by steroids.   It does seem to be a bit better since i reduced to 6.5 mg Pred.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.