Tingling in foot & leg after TKR

Posted , 24 users are following.

i'm struggling today - I'm putting my foot up to elevate it and am getting tingling - not quite pins & needles - in my foot and leg which can be quite uncomfortable, almost painful.  I've tried sitting in different chairs and on the bed and trying different cushions but to no avail.  Any suggestions or advice please.  I'm 8 days post TKR and it has been happening now and again but been almost continuous from middle of the night.  I am very aware of blood clots etc so keep getting up once an hour and also keep wiggling feet regularly for circulation and am on the tablets from the hospital.

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I quit my PT as I was not doing enough to get my knee to bend.  Last three days I have been doing weights, yoga and a lot of exercises going backward instead of going forward.  My neuropathy is only now in the right foot and it is more noticeable when sitting.  I have a bad L3-L4 and when I roll a tennis ball under my right rear end all pain is relieved.  I have been doing a lot of bending of my leg to get it to do a full back bend.  Not quite there yet but it’s getting there!  I can tell you doing weights for my calf, upper quads and both side quad muscles, it has really helped stretch these muscles.  I have worked out my whole life and I was starting to see a lot of muscle wasting so as soon as it gets warmer here, I am swimming.  I am now going in whirlpool and kicking legs as much as I can.  I still have to deal with pain in my knee but at least it is not constant for three days now, so I am hoping that I am on the path to beginning to recover.  I hope I never need another replacement of any kind as I have a severe autoimmune disease which I take gammaglobulin weekly.  This whole thing has been one big nightmare. Thanks for your follow up.
  • Posted

this web site has really helped me cope. i am going through same recovery as most.  I went through 3 cushions now, roll up fleece blankets under my knee, trying everything to get comfortable.  I move from my bed to couch every two hours. My couch is a recliner, i have pillows on both sides of me, and rest my leg. I sleep better sitting up . Ice and muscle relaxer, and pain pills is what is getting me through this. everyone comments have helped me.  I never know what the new day will bring. Yesterday, was a non-productive day. Today, first day I felt good, I am able to bend my knee 60% I was so happy but i know I have a long way to go yet. All we can do is take 1 day at a time.  

the way i finally start bending my knee is put a regular size pillow under my knee, my leg was sticking straight out and it start bending slowly on its own. I was ecstatic. Now i’m icing it bc the muscles are contracting. I thread bed time, i pray all the time. I listen to gospel music, the music relaxes me. 

• Posted

Lorraine,

i know exactly where you are coming from.  Trying to sleep can become a challenge.  How I am getting my knee to bend more is to lay on the floor on a yoga mat on my stomach.  I reach with my arm and hand and grap my foot and pull my leg into my buttocks.  This for me creates less pressure on the knee joint.   I have found restorative yoga to be extremely helpful.  Can you ride a bike yet?  I now finally can go up and down steps, actually can begin to walk slower than a turtle.  I can drive short distances but long distance causes too much pain.  I can do elliptical for 15 minutes but a treadmill too hard.  I am taking it very slow.  I have not taken pain meds from the day I finally got home from the hospital but use ice and lidocaine muscle rub.  I massage the knee and muscles for hours at night to try to break up the scar tissue at the knee.  I was told that is important.

• Posted

that sounds intense yoga, i can’t even sit on the floor, i’m happy for my little progress. I do have an indoor bike, to use later, right now, my goals are

1) bend my knee

2) sleep on my side 

3) walk without my crutches

4) walk with cane

5) sit on a office chair with both my feet on floor

6) walk on my own 

i don’t like taking pain meds but i have to when my pain reaches 10

• Posted

one more thing, i use icy hot, takes the edge off 
    • Posted

Lorraine:

You need to get to PT as it will help.  Also use heating pad on knee and low back.  Start masssging the leg and knee.  I used cbd oil to break up the scaring and also massaging the knee really helps eliminate the pain.  Do you ever use essential oils?  Frakinscence oil mixed with a carrier oil can be massaged well into the knee area to promote healing and decrease the pain.  4% lidocaine lotion also really good.  I alternate between products.  You can do this even though the knee is big and swollen as it will take out the swelling massaging the knee.  

• Posted

cbd oil helps break up the scar tissue? 

this is my biggest problem now. my knee locks up in my sleep, talk about excuiating pain, so now I have to sleep with a metal brace. this set back is really depressing. I want to get better so bad. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.