Tingling, pins and needles

Posted , 3 users are following.

Every time I get up from bed I have to let my arms dangle to get the blood back into my hands then pins and needles but I am unable to pick anything up or grab anything for quite a while my fingers are very stiff all morning. Pain in my upper arms and shoulder too. I can move my arms up and down but painful in the shoulder. is this carpel tunnel. when I have pain all day in my wrist and thumb I do wear a wrist brace for a few days and it goes. But the symptoms when getting up in the morning do not go.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Pins and needles in the morning can be a sign of carpal tunnel. Before my surgery I would always get pins and needles when lying down before bed. It was always worse when I was asleep as you are not aware that your hands have gone to sleep. I would get out of bed and shake my arms and the pain would be quite excruciating as the feeling came back.

Surgery fixed the pins and needles but, it brought a new set of issues, now I struggle to open a wide neck bottle, carrying heavy objects makes my hands come alive as though I'd rubbed them in stinging nettles and scratching them just worsens the sensation. Doing simple tasks like rubbing pastry is only possible in short bursts as the pain on the thumb pad becomes unbearable. My fingers ache a lot around the joints now as they have to work so much harder, I'm only 45 and my hands feel like I'm an arthritic pensioner. I often wonder whether I did the right thing by having surgery as no doctor bothers to ask past patients how it impacts on their life 3 month on, let alone 8 years post op.

I post here now so that others that head down the surgery route get a genuine impression of the impact this surgery can have, our hands are very intricate and surgery should always be a last resort.

Good luck Jean I hope its not carpal tunnel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.