Tingling sensation in hands

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with AS for over two years now. I'm on Naproxen at the moment. I've had pain on my lower back, hips, heals, shoulders, neck,right leg. Stiffness in my middle back area. Recently I have tingling and numb sensation in my left hand (mainly but sometimes both), also my fingers. I have an office job probably that doesn't help either. But do you think it's AS related or just nerves or just the sitting... Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

I also get this when having a flare up. I take Humira so am symptom free day to day now but I recently was off my meds whilst pregnant and suffered from tingling and numb hands most days.

Interestingly, my consultant reported it as carpal tunnel in my notes (didn't actually tell me this though) but I didn't really believe it was at the time. In other words, he wasn't really that interested so I'm not 100% it is medically AS related but I know it's a symptom for me!

If it affecting your work e g. Typing, I would definitely bring it up with your rheumo team.

• Posted

Thank you, I will bring it up. It's been a week or so since I've had this tingling sensation. I've run out of meds so I need to call GP to get them prescribed. I'll start taking them and will see if the pain goes away. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi there, I was diagnosed with AS last July, initially was back pain and would wake up at night in pain, in the morning would have to slide out of bed. Then began getting pains elsewhere in body and in my hands and arm. 

I started off on Naproxen however I had bad stomach cramps so stopped taking. Then was given Arcoxia but I didn’t feel this helped much so my consultant decided to apply for Benepali which was agreed. 

My job is also desk based and I wondered if the pain in hand was from using the mouse, and the keyboard being ling made me stretch arm out or from my AS. It was weird feeling. And I had weird pain and feeling in spine. 

I started Benepali in December and this has really helped. I do not take any other meds. I was getting random shooting pains all over my body but this has improved. 

Only problem now is I have ringing in my ears and I’ve had hair loss and my eyelashes falling out, so I don’t know if it is from the medication, although my consultant doesn’t believe so. I am waiting an open MRI for my ears and having bloods checked for my hair loss. 

I tripped up over 2 months ago and this jolted my back out of place so I had severe back pain which my meds didn’t help with, I was told this is because it was mechanical. But now it’s improved.

As I have a slipped disc in C5/6 I still get neck and head pain, this is on and off and desk job doesn’t help. 

I was always tired and needed to nap, but must say since being on Benepali this has helped.

Wishing you all the best. 

• Posted

I have AS with tingling, numbness, etc. I have experienced this at various times in all 4 limbs.  Mine comes from AS changes, inflammation and nerve damage.  

Don’t discount carpal tunnel. I had it in both hands. As it progressed, sleep became very difficult. I have had the surgery and it was like a miracle!  Try wearing the wrist brace for carpal tunnel and see if the symptoms are reduced. The brace saved me from surgery on my other hand. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I have as and lose feeling in both my arms/hands. I had an emg this week and more tests.come to find out my neck muscles are so tight it’s pinching the nerve causing my arms/hands to go numb.  I hope that helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.