Tingling sensation sensitive move to opposite side

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had had shingles which was on my hand since Early Oct.  Rash gone but my right hand (dominant) a mess with highly sensitive fingers and feelings of numblike.I am going to Occupational Therapy (slowly hand/fingers/arm/shoulder improving). But I am aware of nerve sensations on left side with certain movements.  There is absolutely no pain but I am getting freaked out.  When I mentioned to my therapist there was no reaction.  Any advice on these strange feelings a bit like elec shock for less than a second.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Does it feel like the initial side did when it started?
    • Posted

No it doesn't.  I thought it might be because I was using left hand and arm for practically everything first few weeks.  Now I am aware of this non pain  sensation upon certain movements only. 

• Posted

shingles is so painful, that it is a natiral reaction to see them everywhere.

Consider the shingles vaccination.

See your physician if you think you have shingles somewhere else.

• Posted

Jutebox,

The electric sensations in the left (opposite arm) lasting for a second are not shingles. Herpes Zoster-Shingles clinically does not usually spread to the opposite side. It likes to stay on one side of the body.

The lancinating pain follows a particular dermatome.

The continuous pain lasts for at least a week, if you are very fortunate, often months, or even years. It is never a flash or a second. What could be happening is that you are overusing your non-dominant arm, as the right arm has been too painful to use. When an arm is overused, a person can have new sensations like you are having.

What I would suggest is seeing your physician if these sensations continue.

I hope this helps alleviate some of your anxiety.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you much for your reply.  I agree and have begun using rt hand/arm as much.  Yesterday Therapist too has told me so.  Right now besides exercises she gave me thumb splint to wear during day and compression glove to sleep with.  So frustrating...every move it seems I take requires enormous effort.

again thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.