Tingling Spine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since last September I have had a strange tingling sensation in the middle of my back, mainly the spinal area. This can be described as 'pins and needles' and when it becomes intense develops as a pain and can radiate throughout my back and rear rib area. It can become intense when standing at the kitchen sink, sitting at the piano or carrying shopping home. When it becomes intense, the pain can cause a burning sensation the the spinal area.

An Xray that was taken a few months back reported no sign of injury or anything unusual however, its still there. When I awaken each morning after a nights sleep it is gone but when I get back on my feet, the fun begins again!

What can this be?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello and thanks for posting.

I have had something very similar, and what you describe about standing at the sink and also that the pain is gone when you wake up after a nights sleep is all very muck like has happened to me.

You mentioned about the x-ray, as you know pain can radiate to an area from an organ perhaps, and I wonder if you should think about asking for an ultrasound, I say this as I had gallstones, and needed my gall bladder removed, the pain I was getting didn't go right away, but after some several weeks I am feeling slightly better, how long this will continue who knows.

The other thing it could be is muscular/skeletal disorder.

• Posted

Oh dear, I should read the post through before posting it shouldn't I, lol

It should have read as follows......

I have had something very similar, and what you describe about standing at the sink and also that the pain is gone when you wake up after a nights sleep is all very much like has happened to me.

You mentioned about the x-ray, as you know pain can radiate to an area from an organ perhaps, and I wonder if you should think about asking for an ultrasound, I say this as I had gallstones, and needed my gall bladder removed, the pain I was getting didn't go right away, but after some several weeks I am feeling slightly better, how long this will continue who knows.

The other thing it could be is muscular/skeletal disorder.

• Posted

I had a spinal abcess post epidural 12 years ago. I now have disautomnia and a tingling pain to the site of the dip plus a pain radiating to the side with a slight mark according to my husband
  • Posted

I appreciate your post is 5 years ago but when I googled tingling in spine this was the first thing to pop up. I wondered if you ever got to the bottom of it as I have exactly what you describe. My Dr initially though it was post therapeutic neuralgia from a shingles outbreak and put me on amatripylene which made no difference. I have had a back X-ray, CT scan, physio, acupuncture, I've been to sports massage therapists and a chiropractor but nothing has helped. The problem isn't there all the time and I still have an active life but it's troublesome not knowing what's wrong. I find when it comes on stretching, heat or just resting helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.