Tingly itch that moves around, is this anxiety or something else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So long story short I’ve been taking Zyrtec (a semi strong OTC allergy medication) for allergies on and off for about a year. The other day I learned that people who use it long term can develop severe itching after a few days when they try to stop taking it. I just so happened to have switched to Allegra (which is supposedly less strong) for 5 days, took 1 dose of Zyrtec, learned that, and then took Allegra last night with the decision in mind to stop the Zyrtec ASAP. I say this because I’ve been a bit obsessively worrying about whether or not I’m going to get the itching, and since 6pm last night or so I’ve been having this pins and needles, itchy, tingle, numb sensation all over. So I’m convinced even though I’m not actively nervous it’s my anxiety causing it.

The odd thing is it moves very quickly. A spot on my scalp will tingle and itch, then a few seconds later it will move to a spot on my back, then on my arm, then on my face and so on. It doesn't really go to my legs or feet very often, though sometimes (embarassingly) it will move to my butt or below the belt area. Or it will be in multiple spots at once while still moving around. If I scratch it the feeling goes away in that spot or if I can ignore it it will also sometimes go away.

Taking a shower seemed to help and (ridiculously) I tried to think to myself 'I'm washing the itch away' as I was doing it. But then afterwards when I pet my dog last night by running my hand down her side a few times the palm of that hand got strong pins and needles until I washed my hands immediately after and that’s never happened before. Then after that it started up all over again.

I tried menthol lotion I have and that helped too for a little while.

I have been on a medication for anxiety for a while now and I haven't missed a dose or anything. Also, yesterday I took a dose of an expectorant medication 6 hours after rather then 12 hours, which isn't outside of what's recommended but is new for me so I thought it might be that.

This morning right when I woke up I didn't feel it but then I think I started to wonder if I would, to almost anticipate it, and it's started again and hasn't stopped since. There's never been any pain, loss of movement or actual sensation. There's also no changes in my skin, no hives or swelling or redness.

I had my Vitamin D levels checked in February and they were low, but I've been taking a multivitamin with 200 percent daily value of vitamin D in it for the last few months. Also I checked my blood sugar last night and it was normal. I've had low thyroid for most of my life and it's being controlled with medication.

Has anyone else had experience with this? If it is anxiety this is a brand new symptom for me, and very strange. Googling it only comes up with articles about MS, which isn't helpful. But I'm not sure what to do about it, I would feel so silly making a doctor's appointment over a weird tingling.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You have just described my current situation. My family think i'm overreacting . The sensation was triggered after accupuncture.

i am still trying to get answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.