Tinitus Becoming Unbearable

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am in my sixties and have high pitched tinnitus, both ears as far as I can tell.  This seems to have come on louder within the last few months which co-incides with my habit of going to bed wearing earphones listening to quiet music, should I forego this?  I am a music lover so find this pretty distressing.  I haven't seen a professional yet but I gather not much can be done anyway.  The problem is the more I think about it the worse it appears to be.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

David, im 44 and i have had T for almost 4 yrs, i have adapted to it despite being real loud, be patient, read lots of info about it and try techniques to cope with it, its hell but it gets better once you accept it and start new habits, what caused yours, mine was done by a strong infection and really, Otitis media is what messes me up, its the reason of my T.
  • Posted

Hi David,

How long have you been learning to cope with your tinnitus? I'm 48 and have experienced steadily worsening tinnitus for 25+ years. I don't know what brought it on but I was always prone to ear infections as a child and I assume this was just a weakness in my physiology. Like you, music is extremely important to the quality of my life. I struggle with insomnia and peaceful music helps me relax in the middle of the night (although I very rarely listen to it with earphones in bed). Many things can relieve or worsen the symptoms of tinnitus in each person. Some believe diet/exercise have a big factor to play. Stress is almost certain to make the condition worse, so anything you can do to distract yourself from the high-pitched imposter is worth trying. I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons: if the tinnitus is distressing you at night, is the music at night helping you sleep? Honestly, I have learnt over the years to almost tune the inner noise out. I can go hours without noticing the sounds. Did the sounds stop? No, as soon as i gave them my attention, they were there (almost louder than ever). First thing in the morning and last thing at night (when my surroundings are at their quietest) are the worst times for me and it makes me very depressed. Please don't give up on the quality of your life. Do all you can to enhance other areas of your life and enjoy those. Good luck my friend :-)

• Posted

Hi Digsby, Thank you for your supportive comments, it seems that I am very similar to yourself in that I am sure I have had tinnitus for many years but not let it become a problem.  For instance, today, I woke with my current sewing project on my mind, shaved, showered, breakfast, off to do the grocery shop with partner, home, lunch and all this time I didn't notice tinnitus one little bit.  It is only now that I have sat down with a coffee and read my mail (about tinnitus) that I listened and yep, sure enough there it is.  I am experimenting with very quiet background radio in bed rather than earphones, last night out like a light.
    • Posted

That sounds pretty positive David. I can't remember a morning waking up and it didn't sound like a waterfall & train whistle raging between my ears ;-)

We have bad days and think we're back to square 1 but that's when we have to keep positive and remember the good experiences that we have had and can still have. I'm glad that you have creative outlets. I enjoy baking and the outdoor bowls season is about to begin - there's nothing like the fresh air and the gentle concentration on the green to focus my mind and help me forget anything negative going on in my life.

Keep positive and stay in touch. Wishing you all the best :-)

• Posted

Hi, note the late hour, I have been out for the evening and tinnitus wasn't a problem in the slightest, just now after reading your mail and thinking about it it is deafening, I'm going to bed shortly with the radio system playing quietly, we'll see what happens.
  • Posted

Hi David..I am also suffering from T which has intensified recently. I know why I have it...I have played drums all my life without protecting my hearing. I am 65 now, and still playing but with ear plugs.

Stress is definitely a big factor though....business is tough and worries in that area have coincided with increase noise which is becoming unbearable.

i have read somewhere that muti vitamins will help..but I'm a bit cynical about that.

have things improved for you in the last year?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.