Tinnitus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Some years ago I had a short course ( 4 months I think ) of Citalopram which worked well for me, and as far as I can remember I had very few side effects.

I need an anti depressant again and Citalopram has been offered by my NHS GP but I have quite bad tinnitus these days. Has anyone had experience of increased and irreversible tinnitus on Citalopram? I don't want to start Citalopram  the tinnutus will be worsened.

The only problems I had was coming off the drug....a few weeks of occasional really strange whooshing noises in the head which lasted just seconds : kind of worth it for the much needed mood lift I got from the course.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I've been on these 3 weeks now and I actually feel that's it's helped my tinnitus. It hasn't stopped completely, but I've found it easier to ignore. I've had a positive affect on the tablets so far.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I have tinnitus with meniere's and have to tread really carefully thinking about drugs...I think day to day it's the tinnitus that gets me really down, over and above the dizzy stuff and the nausea.

R ( SWest UK )

• Posted

No problem. It definitely hasn't made it worse for me. The worse effect I had was from taking extra strong ibuprofen! These help you distance yourself from things which cause stress and anxiety. My doctor even suggested that my tinnitus would stop altogether on these.

• Posted

Hi Rich, I have been on Citalopram for 15 weeks and has definitely caused increased Tinitus for me. I assume it is different for everyone but that has been my experience.

Good Luck, Shane

• Posted

Hi Rich, I have been on Citalopram for 15 weeks and has definitely caused increased Tinitus for me. I assume it is different for everyone but that has been my experience.

Good Luck, Shane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.