tinnitus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,i was diagnosed with tinnitus about 3 months ago.The audiologist that did my hearing test said I have hearing loss in both ears,not surprising really as I'm a carpenter having worked on noisy building sites and still do.The audiologist recommends trying hearing aids and booked me an appointment in my local hospital on 18/7/18.I was told that the hearing aids wont stop or cure my tinnitus but will help me hear more of what I should be hearing and so help with this loud noise in me ears.I was wondering if anyone finds it very loud in the morning when you first wake up.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi gaza,

It seems we are all looking for answers on this topic but from what I gather, it's a matter of learning to live with it for most.

Some people have temporary tinnitus following viruses or infections but others have noisy work environment related tinnitus such as yourself and with me ENT think it could be my neck arthritis causing it. Something to do with the nerves in the neck. I think it could be my meds too.

When I went to ENT, my hearing wasn't perfect but was equal in both ears. Nothing prescribed, just listen to delta wave music at night.

I have heard that diuretics sometimes help, may be worth checking it out when you get your appointment. At least it's not long to wait.

Anxiety makes it worse though, I have read that.

If you find a cure you'll be a millionaire!!

Hope you get some relief with your hearing aids.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Pattie

?This tinnitus is new to me ,I had heard of people suffering from it but I never thought I would end up with it. People say its learning to live with it ,easier said than done.Ive only had it about three months and already its starting to effect my routine.Once I get up in the morning I cant go back to bed for a lay in as it gets worse so I stay up.It seems that everything I do I can hear this horrible noise in my head .Its also effecting my concentration .I didn't realise that so many other people suffer with it.Do you have any hearing loss in your ears?.

• Posted

Hi,

I have slight hearing loss but it is equal in both ears so nothing recommended apart from music.

With mine I don't notice it when I am busy or out amongst people, it's when I'm alone or in a quiet atmosphere. Mine has definitely got worse lately though as I have a fan on me most of the day. Any noise aggravates it, dogs barking, children crying and screaming in supermarkets is the worse lol.

It's not easy I know but when I don't think about it I don't notice it so much.?

• Posted

Mine, Patty, sounds so similar to yours. Have had mine over yrs..and can so relate crying, screaming kids in market. I used to think the older people were just grumpy old people but now I know they have very sensitive ears. LOL I've become what I used to condemn. LOL I've always worked in an elementary school so mine comes from the noise in the lunchroom that I'm in twice a day and at Pep rallies Etc.

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

Yes, time catches up with us all lol.

It surprised me how common tinnitus is. I was at the dentist the other day and the receptionist told me she suffers from it. I went from there to the supermarket and started chatting with neighbours. In the store there was a child screaming and I automatically pulled a face and so did my neighbour, another tinnitus sufferer lol.

I read something today about magnesium helping, I'll have to research a little further.

I too have always worked in a learning environment so I can relate there.

Let's hope there's a magic cure out there in the not too distant future.

Best wishes

• Posted

Yea, I've had T for over 2yrs. When I first came down with it I honestly thought I was going to go crazy..it stressed me like crazy which then led to louder T. But now, with time, it has subsided to where I don't focus on it as much anymore. Like you, at night, I run a fan. Daytime, usually ok. Unless stressed. I also get sometimes like a buzzing feeling in head. Do you do that as well?

But overall, seems to be manageable from what it use to be.

I agree with the amt of ppl that have T, being remarkable. Looks like with that many, rather intermittent or not, they could find out why this is all happening to so many. Some out there have horrendous cases. For them, my heart goes out. I thank God I can tolerate. My audiologist said I have slight, high pitched hearing loss, which is why my ENT feels I have the T..Yes, I too, pray daily for a cure..

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

My tinnitus sort of crept up on me. At first I didn't realize what I was feeling, it was a lot quieter then . It gradually got worse over time before I realized what it was.

I have early neck arthritis and ENT seemed to thing that was the reason for it.

Sometimes, at night, the sound is enough to make me feel I am going crazy, as you say. I can lose focus with it, my mind wanders into a sort of panic and I have to calm myself. Anxiety makes it worse and vice versa.

I get a buzzing in my ears and I can hear my pulse when laying down. I hate that, it's very unnerving.

I get headaches and some lightheadedness but I don't know whether it's the T causing it or my neck issues. My neck has also been playing up lately.

The hot weather seems to make everything worse with both anxiety and tinnitus, they feed off one another.

My sympathy goes out to everyone who suffers with T, the problem is I don't think the experts understand it fully.

Like you I pray for a cure.

I am managing it during the day time, when I don't dwell on it I don't notice it so much....

• Posted

Mine started all at once. I had like a knot in neck so was soooo stressed that it was cancer. I was flipping out. I then had a catscan, and next day the T began. I sometimes wondered if it was caused by the dye. But...anyhow, they found that I have also arthritis degenerative however mild. Of the c5 I think they said..still got the old knit there, but after more tests, they all agreed muscle. So I know I hold most of my tension in my neck. I also have acid reflux as well as eustation tube dysfunction. Uou wouldn't believe all the issues I have going on. My Dermo diagnosed me with verticis gyrata, which causes these like lumps on my skull, I have fibrocystic diseas, diversticulitis, periodontist, and other issues as well..it just never seems to end. But hey, nothing serious so I'm good..wink

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with all these health issues. The only one I can share with you, apart from T is acid reflux. I am familiar with that but it's part of anxiety in my case.

All of these issues, tests you must have been through has no doubt taken its toll on you with regard to stress and anxiety. I am not surprised you have T after what you've been through. I have read though that there could be a connection, as you say, with CT scan the dye and T, you could be right there.

Like you say, they are all manageable conditions but it takes a strong person to deal with these each day. My heart goes out to you.

Last night I did some exercises for my T after going online and watching videos on youtube. It did help a little. There is one particular doctor that I follow and he does many online short videos (free) on neck arthritis, anxiety, tinnitus and many many more. Whenever I feel down I look him up and I get reassured every time. I won't mention his name here in case my post won't get sent but I will try sending in another post, otherwise I'll private message you.

If you want to chat at any time I will be on this thread. For me, it helps a lot speaking to people with similar conditions.

Speak to you soon, take care ......?

• Posted

So his name is Dr Alan Mandell, motivationaldoc on youtube. You may have already heard of him. His videos have helped me out and put my mind at ease many times.?

• Posted

I guessed as much. I'll try sending you a private message?

• Posted

Yes, and ya know, what is one to do if they fear the dye and needs testing? I think even mri has dyes in contrast, which is what is usually needed. Oh well, cross that road IF I ever come to it. Thank you Pattie for yr kind words. God is good. I have been given lots of grace and mercy in my life. I just want to try to be a source of calm for those who stress over these issues..as you know, we all have good and bad days with T..iv kept a journal of what I eat, sleep pattern, anxiety levels. Trying to find a pattern. So far, it's all the above..wink being tired, anxious and certain foods such as sugar, dairy, and salt sets it off louder. I was real stressed one day and T got sooo loud I couldn't hear a frI end even talkin to me. Thank God it lasted just a minute. I can't imagine those who suffer with it like that..God bless them...but I w as very, very stressed at that time. I really try hard to stop and deep breathe when I feel my stress level rising..

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

I suppose it's a chance to take for getting a diagnosis. I don't suppose people are aware of the side effects.

Glad you enjoyed the videos. There are loads of them, I think he's brilliant.

Yes stress plays an important part in tinnitus. When it is bad, like you say, it is difficult to hear people or concentrate, I feel panicky with it sometimes. This morning I was feeling stressed over an email about an item I had delivered which wasn't as expected. I felt my anxiety take over so I watched one of the docs videos on anxiety and it helped me a lot. I've started a journal on them now so that I don't forget.

One think I've picked up on us magnesium deficiency, plays a huge role in anxiety, stress, constipation, sleeping disorder, heartburn, neck tension and others. It reduced blood pressure so you have to be careful if you already have low blood pressure.

I bought some magnesium oil and rubbed on feet last night and I wasn't so fidgety. I get restless legs at night. It supposed to help you sleep.

I try to avoid sugary or salty foods too. I do have caffeine though in the painkillers I take so I should find an alternative for them.

I agree with you about trying to find what is best for us, being proactive is a good therapy.

Hope you have a good day....?

• Posted

Iv read that about magnesium. I want to look into the flakes and make my own spray..Spray on at night. I understand fully about the restless leg syndrome. Had them last night. Hate that! Not very often though. Have you ever considered essential oil for pain? The lemon is amazing for aches and peppermint great 4 pain. I use them often

Lavender helps me sleep, even tho last night I still struggled..smile I also take ViTal curcumin for inflammation. Seems to help alot. I take vit D drops as well, being mine was very low at one point. wink I do try to go natural when I can..wink

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

Phew, another unbearably hot day! I bought another fan online today, can't manage with the four I've got lol. The cats have got the best one on them all day😸😺.

Yes, I definitely think the magnesium oil helped with fidgets in bed, I didn't get restless legs last night. I'll try again tonight. I've bought a combination of calcium, magnesium, vit D and zinc in one liquid so I'm trying that tonight too. I'll be like a junkie tomorrow 😜

I haven't tried any oils for pain but it's something to look into for sure.

I've got curcumin in tablet form but I forget to take it.

I know my electrolytes are ok but not sure about magnesium, my doctor told me they don't check for that. Apparently the blood test is not reliable. When you think there could be thousands of people out there with magnesium deficiency having all these unexplained symptoms and never knowing. When I total my magnesium intake it's nothing like the 325-350mgs recommended for women . I read that the body only takes 25% of the magnesium we eat in any case.

The doc does a good video on magnesium and potassium deficiencies. He's all for natural remedies.

Good luck with making your own magnesium spray. Didn't know you could do that.

Speak again.........👋

(I've pinched your smiley ideas lol).

• Posted

Hi terrie,

Hope you're doing ok.

No I've not heard of that before but I just looked it up and it makes an interesting read.

Have you tried it?

• Posted

No I havent. There are so many companies out there that make claims. One could go broke trying them all out. I am so leary of taking anything anymore. Went to mountains and guess the elevation had T acting up. At same time I started a low dose baby aspirin and stopped takin it for fear of it causing T of getting worse. Really trying not to focus on it, yet at same time sure don't want it worse. Sad that there are money grubbing companies that lie to those in need. I remember the day they had to have proof b4 selling claimed healing. Not anymore. Liars all for that almighty dollar. Sorry, just false claims make me so angry. They take advantage of the downtrodden!

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

Yes I agree, we don't know what works and what doesn't work but we are desperate to find relief so we try anything and they are well aware of that.

I've tried so many remedies for my anxiety but it hasn't made a difference as far as I can see.

Sorry your T has been made worse by your pursuits. Hopefully it will settle down for you. Mine has been worse lately with the noise of fans all the time, I hate feeling too warm though, plays havoc with anxiety.

If I give qoc 10 a go I'll let you know how I get on.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.