Tinnitus after antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi My GP told me at the end of October I had an ear infection and I had to take antibiotics for a week amoxicillin after 4 or 5 days of taking them my ears starting ringing and I could hear everything really loudly it was driving me nuts but I took them for 7 days anyway as that what the doctor said. Afterwards I could still hear the ringing and everything louder for a few days then the loud noises gradually went away but I still have the ringing now, my GP said it should eventually go away but how long will that take? Anyone have any experience of tinnitus going away after antibiotics how long did it take?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It's a difficult call to know how long. If you've never had tinnitus and have it as a result of an antibiotic, hopefully it will go away and never come back. I do know with my tinnitus that antibiotics intensify the noise level to almost an unbearable level. I was taking amoxi clav 875 both orally and intraveneously for cellulitis infection and my tinnitus went off the charts.

Anyway, my hope is yours is temporary and will just go away. Keep us posted! Good Luck!

• Glenn
  • Posted

Hopefully, it will go away. I have had tinnitus for the last 3 months and the use of antibiotics made it worse. It can be stressful in the beginning but it does get better over time for some people. Mine is getting better over time. Worrying about it makes it worse.

There is a lot of negative stuffs on the Internet and reading them creates additional stress which makes the ringing louder. So stick to sites which have positive messages on Tinnitus and if need be see an ENT Dr. In the meantime, try and have regular and good night rest. Use something to mask the sound if need be. I believe you will be ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.