tinnitus and neck arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with neck and spine OA although early stages. Apart from neck pain, stiffness and creaking when I turn my head I am getting tinnitus in both ears. I can hear radio wave sounds and can hear my heart beat in my ear when I lay down. I also feel giddy when I turn onto my right side in bed. My ears sometimes tickle and ache inside. All of this is most noticeable when my neck hurts. I also get migraines but this is not new to me. Can anyone tell me if this is related to my neck OA or is this some other problem. Thanks for reading.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hearing your pulse in your ear is called pulsatile tinnitus.  It has many causes (you might want to Google it).  It usually originates within blood vessels in the head or neck region.  Pulsatile Tinnitus can also be the result of middle ear fluid buildup from inflamation, infection or eustachian tube dysfunction.  Since you have head/neck OA that could be source of PT.  Next step is to see an ENT doctor for further diagnosis.

good luck....

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Tanney. I will make an appointment to see my GP. I suspected that there was a connection. I cannot recall mentioning tinnitus to my rheumatologist a few months ago however so it must have started after my diagnosis. Since then I have been doing neck strengthening exercises and taking more aspirin based pain killers than normal so perhaps the combination of both has something to do with it. I was advised to take paracetamol but they make me feel nauseous. Thanks once again.
    • Posted

Aspirin is another cause of tinnitus.  You may want to eliminate that and see what happens.  Try Tylonol for arthritis....650mg pill.  take 3 times/day instead of aspirin for your neck arthritis.
    • Posted

That's very interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks Tanney.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.