Tinnitus, anxiety, not weather

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody,

I have had tinnitus for just over a year. It's like a constant white noise, not so noticeable when I'm out or when I'm in busy. I've been to ENT but everything ok. Hearing normal, just advised that it is probably due to neck arthritis which I also have.

I Take Citalopram for anxiety and aspirin based med for neck so I think it could be the side effect of both meds causing tinnitus as they are both capable of it.

The heat in the UK is bad for me at the moment because it makes my anxiety worse which in turn makes my tinnitus worse. I have a noisy fan on constantly but I've noticed my tinnitus is worse for it and it makes my anxiety worse. It also gives me headaches. It's a vicious circle. I've tried ear plugs but then I can hear my heart beat and it freaks me out.

Does anyone's tinnitus problems sound similar? Any suggestions please welcome.

Thanks for listening.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pattie

I know how you feel, Tinnitus is a vicious circle as medication for other problems tend to increase Tinnitus. I find the best relief from calming/meditation music and of course trying to be positive so that anxiety does not take over and make it worse. Ear plugs are certainly not for me.

All the best to you

Robin

• Posted

Thanks Robin

It's horrible isn't it. Drives me round the bend sometimes, mostly at night. Will be glad when I don't need my fan any longer. ENT did suggest calming music and it does work sometimes, delta wave music, the fan drowns it out though.

Sorry you're suffering too. It's a relief talking to someone else with same problem, don't feel so isolated.

Much appreciated.

Ps meant Hot Weather in title - typo

• Posted

Hi pattie - I live in Canada and experiencing a heat wave - not pleasant.  I have had tinnitus since mid January after a viral flu.  My ears were full of fluid too then due to congestion.  My doctor prescribed nasal spray but it hasn’t helped even though I have been on it for months.  I have it worse some days and quieter others.  Quieter days - it seems like only one ear affected and when it is really noisy I can’t tell if I am experiencing it in one ear or both.

Been trying all sorts of natural remedies with no luck.  I guess I keep hoping it will go away as I  not on medication if any kind.  With our Medicare system in Canada I have an 18 month wait to see an ENT.   But from reading these forums doesn’t seem like they can do much.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Wow that's a long wait, mine was 6 months in the UK and I thought that was bad enough.

Perhaps by the time you get to visit ENT it may have passed. Sometimes it does with viral infections.

I have noticed with mine that noise, heat and anxiety aggravates it. I've heard people say that worrying about it makes it worse, easier said than done I know.

Hopefully yours will clear, I do hope so.

Thanks for your post.

All the best, will think of you x

• Posted

Hi Pattie.  Tinnitus can have a hundred different causes.  Many folks find some relief from the following:

1.  see an allergist to determine if you have allergies, non-allergic rhinitus or another nasal/sinus issue that could be the cause.

2.  anxiety/stress are well known causes of increased tinnitus.  You probably would benefit from a sedative such as 0.5m of Ativan which is quick acting and dissolves under the tongue.  One of the benefits of Ativan is that it calms down the inner/middle ears and thus decreases tinnitus.  Not all sedatives work this way....Ativan is particularly effective for very loud tinnitus.  Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Hi Tanney,

Thank you for responding to my post.

It's interesting you mention allergies, I have been sneezing a lot lately and have had a stuffy nose at times, I put it down to the warm weather. I don't usually get hayfever.

I take Ciralopram for anxiety but I've never tried Ativan, my mother takes that, I think it's called Lorazepam too.

I will definitely look into these suggestions.

Thank you for being so helpful.....

• Posted

I believe Ciralopram is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor used to treat some forms of depression and anxiety.  I believe Ativan can compliment Ciralogram but please be sure to check with your doctor for advice on this before using both.  Yes, Ativan is Lorazepam.
    • Posted

Thanks Tanney,

It's definitely something to consider if things don't calm down. I'm waiting for this hot spell to pass. Thank you so much ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.