Tinnitus-benzodiazepines

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced tinnitus as a side effect of benzo use and/or withdrawal.

I was taking oxazepam for only two weeks when my tinnitus started. I switched to bromazepam for a couple of weeks which made the T better but because there was a shortage in the entire country I had to go back to oxazepam and that's when the T started to feel like electricity traveling throughout my brain. I switched to diazepam and the feeling of electricity got even more intense. I quit the benzos cold turkey 5 days ago and the electricity and T is constant. I m worried that there is permanent nerve damage either by the use or the withdrawal. Anyone else with the same symptoms snd did they go away at some point?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

what other symptoms to you have with the T? i have been having re-occuring symptoms for over 9 months. what else are you experiencing

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

The first two days of withdrawing I was feeling very tense. At this point physically it's just the T that I am experiencing which is driving me mad. I also feel severely depressed but I cannot tell if it's because of the withdrawal. Did you experience depression while withdrawing? How long were you on them? How long did the accute phase of the withdrawals last for you? Did the symptoms decrease linearly or did you have ups and downs?

• Posted

Stress can have an effect on tinnitus. I already had tinnitus before withdrwaling from a 3 week amount of Diazepam (around 100mg) and it's louder.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've had tinnitus for years and it waxes and wanes naturally, but almost always calms down or sometimes goes fully. It's likely you are just having stress and it makes things worse.

Be assured that these thing are likely transient

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.