Tinnitus for a few months has recently got worse!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm ethan! I'm only 14 and I developed tinnitus last September (at which point I was only thirteen, about to turn 14) and I was very worried! I have been to an ENT twice and they have assured me that I do not have an ear infection or any hearing loss. There is nothing else they can do! Over the last few days though my tinnitus has got significantly louder and I'm very worried! How can I live my life like this?! So I'm stuck with some questions and I was wondering if any of u can answer? Firstly, since I have no hearing loss, does that mean that my tinnitus is not noise induced, or is it still possible to get noise induced tinnitus without hearing loss? Secondly, what else could be causing it? And lastly, if it is not notice induced, could I fix it anyway? Please I'm desperate! Thank you in advance for any replies x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ethan...Im so sorry to hear that you are experiencing this promstic and idiotic private noice...tinnitus. Hold your hopes up...it will go away..youll see. I went to the ENT with similar complaint and my genious Dr. told me similar thing...On my second appointment I refused to accept his view and insisted for him to do something and reluctantly he took the nouse camara and when he reached the entrance to the eustachean tube it was red. After that I stop lisyening to him and when on to follow my instinc...and what I was feelinf. I was feeling thatI had an eustachean tube infevtion and I felt that thr tube was shut and it needed to be unplugged. I put myself uoside down...for that purpose...head down on the floor and my body on the bed...and amazind the tinnitus quiet down...Another thing i realized is that I put a hot pad to heat up the area of the neck close to my ear where the eustachean tube is and it mskes my ear pop and feel much better...try it...it problably help you...get well soon and smile you are young and brave
    • Posted

Thanks I will try! I was prescribed drops to put up my nose to clear it but they didn't sound confident it would work. I think they were just giving me something so I would go away for a while, which I guess worked! But yeah I will try this thanks so much!
  • Posted

Get your ears checked out by a doctor, they will check your ears for excessive ear wax and other obstructions.
  • Posted

Hi Ethan,

So sorry to hear of you suffering when you are so young. I'd guess that most of us who put up with this invisible curse have very good hearing still, there is just the constant interference. I'm hoping that you have read the forum posts about things to avoid that might make a difference to your condition. See if any of these things work over time. I'm assuming you don't listen to loud music or are taking any medication atm which could have this side effect.

Try not to worry as stress is almost certain to make it worse. There are lots of people who have found the noise does fade so I hope you will be one of the lucky ones. The main thing is that you are not alone. I hope you will find lots of helpful advice by reading all the discussions.

Good luck to you. Don't let it beat you :-)

Digsby

• Posted

Thank you so much! I feel better knowing other people are here. I don't listen to loud music, quite the opposite really! I'm always telling people to stop being so loud and turning the tv down when no one is looking! Yesterday, I noticed for the first time that I could hear my tinnitus but I wasnt scared or upset. I feel like this is a step in the right direction! Thanks again
    • Posted

Well done Ethan - you have a very healthy attitude which can be half the battle. Acceptance isn't the same as approval - we can accept a situation without liking it, but it acknowledges that it is real and we have a choice about how we deal with it. It's early days for you still on your journey so don't give up hope. Being aware of your body and what makes the tinnitus worse can give clues on coping with it and reducing its impact on your life.

Wishing you all the best,

Digsby

• Posted

Hi Ethan,

Can I ask 1) if you use ear phones? if yes, for how long each day?

2) does the tinnitus get louder or softer during day?

3)does the tinnitus stop at all when you are in a quiet room or does it get louder ?

I may have an answer if you reply the way I think you will

Take care

• Posted

I use earphones maybe a couple of times a week (rarely more) but always under half way, as I am quite a cautious person and I knew about tinnitus before I had it. The tinnitus is softer during the day although I think this is due to the louder background noise of school, town centres, etc. and when I am in a quiet room the tinnitus appears louder, but again I think this is due to the background noise being less in a quiet room than normal life. Thank you!
    • Posted

Hi,

Tinnitus means that there is some damage somewhere to the ear, It's trying to work, and send information to the brain but the "interference" is the brain receiving the distorted information.

This is either gained from being in a noisy environment for periods of time (the tinnitus society doesn't say how long that needs to be!)

Or it can be due to injury to any part of the head,

Or it can be from developing an illness which damages the ear (as in my case - I have Meniere's disease) The trouble is, finding the cause if it is the latter.

It can even be from somthing like having measles as a child as I did.

You can do damage with ear phones even if the volume is low-ish, A friend of mine had damage to her ears this way just by listening to a language tape every Saturday morning on her half hour journey to work. Some people just have bad luck in that way having sensitive ears in the first place.

Yes, you notice it more in quiet places as other noise in general life masks most of it out. The problems really start when you can't mask it out if your hearing does drop. (mine is louder at night - or I notice it more when trying to get to sleep) I hope that you don't have that happen.

I had a hearing test about 3 months after getting MD. I had no tinnitus at that

point, it developed later. 

I think that you need to see a specialst to put your mind at rest.

Take care,

Keep us informed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.