Tinnitus for a few months has recently got worse!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm ethan! I'm only 14 and I developed tinnitus last September (at which point I was only thirteen, about to turn 14) and I was very worried! I have been to an ENT twice and they have assured me that I do not have an ear infection or any hearing loss. There is nothing else they can do! Over the last few days though my tinnitus has got significantly louder and I'm very worried! How can I live my life like this?! So I'm stuck with some questions and I was wondering if any of u can answer? Firstly, since I have no hearing loss, does that mean that my tinnitus is not noise induced, or is it still possible to get noise induced tinnitus without hearing loss? Secondly, what else could be causing it? And lastly, if it is not notice induced, could I fix it anyway? Please I'm desperate! Thank you in advance for any replies x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I too have tinnitus (since 3 years). ThereĀ“s usually no hearing loss involved in aquiring tinnitus. You have not told us the circumstances round the event of your tinnitus.

If it was noice induced you would probably know it. There are many causes to tinnisus as it is "only" a symptom.

Stress, lack of sleep and exercise will make it worse and more noticeable.

• Posted

I do have sinus problems quite frequently (nose bleeds, and difficulty breathing) and have been told that this could be the problem. However my nose is not always blocked and the volume of my tinnitus is constant, regardless of whether my nose is blocked or not. :{
  • Posted

Hi Ethan, I've had this for 13 years, trust me it gets better, your brain will block it out, but like living near a train line, after a while you don't notice them. You need to stop focusing on it, I only hear mine when I listen for it, or the odd time when I'm stressed, but as quick as that i forget again, honestly you'll be fine. Try to ignore it, it will fade. The more stressed and anxious you are the more you'll notice it. Think of other day to day things and just get on with them. Hope this is if some help, please don't focus on it, you'll be fine. It's very common . X šŸ‘
    • Posted

Should have read (It's like living next to a train line)
    • Posted

Thanks is I will try but it sure you know that it is hard. I guess for me the thing that is really getting to me is that I am so young and it's hard thinking about so many years ahead with this annoying noise!
    • Posted

Yeah I used to think the same. There's more people with it than you realise. Yours may just go as quick as it came, being that there loads of cold and flu virus about! It will get better honestly! Your start to forget about it and those periods will become longer every time. Stay positive smile You'll be ok.
    • Posted

If you havenĀ“t had your tinnitus for very long it is definitely worth to find the underlying issue to possibly get rid of the cause tinnitus.

Perhaps your ENT already went through a few things to rule out apart from your sinus issue:

Medication, stress, if you can affect your tinnitus noticeably by turning your head, clenching your jaw etc.(stiff neck, back problems).

There is a great dedicated forum for fellow tinnitus sufferers with useful tips, research etc: http://www.tinnitustalk.com/

This official website is also useful in keeping of to date with the latest news on research worldwide:

http://www.ata.org/

I became sensitive to high pitched noise, and as a result have to wear ear protection in cinemas, aeroplanes (try to sit at the front rows) and other loud places. The times IĀ“ve ignored protecting my ears against loud music and thought it couldnĀ“t get worse - the noise escalated permanently whenever I was careless.

I donĀ“t want to scare you, but bear this in mind and you will be fine.

With luck you might even get rid of the noise.

At the very least, as Sharr10 said: in time you will get used to it if it doesnĀ“t go away.

Ā 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.