Tinnitus go away or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys. I got tinnitus last halloween night after exposure to loud noise. It started of very loud but faded over the following two months till xmas when i barely heard it at all. This week however i have had problems sleeping and am over tired as well as a possible cold due to a 10 hour flight I was on over xmas. The flight did not cause the current spike I have but I am wondering would the smokes or weed I tried on new years eve play a part and will the tinnitus fade away to what it was like at xmas when it was nearly gone totally. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Also in the morning and day I never hear it its only in the evenings and each day it seems to take longer for the sound to form.
  • Posted

I thought I had tinnitus which started 2 years or more ago. Mine is different though.  I have it only in my right ear and I can actually manipulate the sound by opening and closing my mouth as well as sticking my jaw out a little.  I think perhaps mine is related to bruxism, or clenching of the jaw at night and even during the day when I do not realize I am doing it.  I think that is more curable vs tinnitus that is really both ears.  Not sure if others have the same experience or not
    • Posted

Mine is only in my right ear also. I went to doc and he said it would go as I did no hearing damage. He said it could take up to a year depending on my body and how i go about recovering.
    • Posted

I am surprised that your doctor would be so precise about this. My own GP told me that if he had a pound for every person he saw with tinnitus to whom he could give a solution he would be a rich man.

I realised not so long ago that the singing in my ears was otherwise regarded as tinnitus. So what changed? I became aware of it.

I am semi-retired and spend a lot of time as I am at the moment sitting in front of my PC.

A sort of stress, yes - stress from not doing anything much.

Yes, I do have the singing in my ears when I am active but it doesnt affect me so much - except it is particularly annoying when I am playing in my orchestra. I recently was able to hear it above the sound of the orchestra. A colleague said that it was exacerbated by music.

And the worst is probably when I am lying in bed at night - particularly when I am not very tired.

• Posted

He said it would get bettee because if it wasnt the volume would not have lowered. He claimed that it would remain at the same level from morning till night.
  • Posted

Well, firstly, what do you mean by "current spike"? Has your Tinitus returned? As far as I can see Tinitus tends to stay once it arrives. On the question of drugs, anyone who takes them takes their "life in their hands" As it where so should stop taking the b****y things or take the consequences. Who knows what drugs can induce??
    • Posted

My own take is that "tinnitus" doesn't arrive nor does it go. I sometimes wake up in the morning and I don't appear to have any singing but then as the day gets underway I realise that the tinnitus is appearing again.

So, yes, something that comes in and out of one's consciousness.

As I said in another message, I notice it when I am not doing anything or lying awake at night.

But "spike" has a fairly good statistical use these days as in their being a spike in the support for a political party ie a blip.

I am not in particular favour of drugs - I imagine that Happyhacker objected to the casual mention of drugs as though didn't everyone take them.

• Posted

That's that me NickOliver.  I noticed it one day out of the blue.  No reason.  No trauma. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. Suddenly I heard it and asked someone next to me "do you hear that?".  I described it as a more faint hgh pitched electricity humming or buzzing sound . He of course said "no".  Then over time, it became more pronounced.  

For me however, it's isolated to my right ear only, and from what I have read, true tinnitus occurs most frequently in both ears.  

I had a CT scan done of my auditory canal and brain and nothing came back as they were looking for a benign tumor on the nerve.  

I can change the pitch of the sound by clenching my jaw tighter, or stickin my jaw out far almost in a stretching motion.  

I do have higher than normal anxiety mostly from work related issues, and again, I have not terrible but a case of bruxism or clenching of the jaw or teeth.  I know this because on ocassion I've actually woke myself up as I've bitten the end of my tongue so hard I've drawn blood.  

I was fitted with a guard for my top teeth to try and reduce it but they are not the easiest thing to sleep with.  

I think the next step is to try medication, only at night, that will relax my jaw muscles to see if that helps.  I also went to my chiropractor who set my jaw correctly as it was really out of whack so to speak and it seemed to provide a temporary change in the sound, making it more faint.  

It's frustrating because the only time I do not notice it is when I am very busy, talking to others, doing presentations, or out at dinner engaged in conversation.  Even then, lately, I have noticed it without really concentrating on it.  

It's been 2+ years now for me.  I've had auditory tests and have been told that my affected ear is in fact not hearing as well as my left ear, but it's not an alarming difference.  My ENT Doc also put a device into my ear to test the responses and in fact it came back normal.  Frustrating as hell because you want them to find something soas to fix it, but unfortunately, that's not been the case for me.  I'm 44 and in good health otherwise

• Posted

By spike I mean it got temp higher around the same time I used cannabis. It is now slowly lowering again. It seems to get worse with certain factors and improves when I stay fit and healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.