Tinnitus has flared up following stress. Friendly advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have had fluctuating tinnitus since christmas. At the moment it seems to be particularly noticable especially in quiet rooms. It sounds like electrical interference... occasionally a pulse. Ive been fully checked out via MRI etc and medically nothing is wrong. It is causing me some distress and worry now though. I have had a very stressful time of late with a house move that almost didnt happen. The move is over but the admin and living out of boxes continues. I have also been worried about my daughter who is unsettled as a result. The professionals tell me to remove the stress and i should see improvement with the T. This has certainly been the case in the past but I would say my stress now is slightly less than before I moved house. Why then the worsening. I am worried and feel quite alone and would appreciate some reassurance via the forum. Thanks

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This sounds very similar to me. I got t a year ago from an ear infection

It was really bad for 3 months then started to reduce. Since then ive struggled

with all sorts of noises not related but due to stress and thinking about my

ears all the time. Recently due to life issues it started getting bad again until

I went to the doctors with stress. The last few weeks my ears have been much better

because Ive started to relax and enjoy life much more almost back to normal.

My experience is even if your not feeling stressed right now it can still have an

effect on your health and t for some time. Maybe go and see the doctors for

stress and see what they suggest or try spending some time do things you enjoy.

Youve got to retrain your brain away from t and anxiety which can take a couple

of months or maybe longer. Its working for me.

Good Luck Matt

• Posted

Thanks Matt. Sorry for the slow acknowledgment. Im actually taking a few days out and some relaxation and distraction has been a help. I still have the odd episode of really short sharp shrill joise but my wife says she gets that too and it can be something as trivial as ear wax. I worry reading some other posts where some people have had bearably tinnitus and then it suddenly gets worse. Dr tells me that is jot usual and that stress managment is key. Hopefully things continue to improve for us all. Thanks again for the post
  • Posted

I have this to after episodic panick attacks sad it's a stress symptom and mine sounds like yours 

I started anti depressants to relax all the previous anxiety which will resolve the symptom 

It's like all our stress manifests into this symptom sad even when we no longer feel stressed 

I can't even tell if my noise is in my ears or coming from my head 

It's sounds like high pitched carcardas or electricity or someone vaccuming next door 

• Posted

Thanks for this thoroughly helpful post in response. I saw my GP last night and he too was very reassuring. Had a bad four days or so with the T. Just got back from a few days away and trying to unpack with two screaming kids and a backlog of house move post/ admin to sort proved to up my stress again. I have some big decisions ahead at work. Relaxation whilst I was on holiday did definitley help particularly a treatment,

but Im noticing now Im home Im noticing it more again. Getting hypnotised on friday. Very reassuring to hear of someone else with similar symptoms. Thanks again. Hope you feel better too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.