Tinnitus last 3 days.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Well, last weekend, I went shooting for the very first time. I did wear ear protection, however, somebody shot before I put them back on at a very close distance. The ringing has been extremely bad. There has been improvement in my hearing, but the ringing is still horrible. I too, am having trouble sleeping, and focusing on my school work.

I am 22, and this is the very first experience I have had with this. I am planning to meet with an ENT later this week, and did meet with a nurse practitioner at my school today. He did say my eardrum looks good, which is a good sign. But, I'm still afraid this could be permenant. Does anyone have any advice??

Many thanks,

Tim

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The first thing you should be doing is getting on a steroid like a 5-day dosepak of prednisolone to bring down any possible inflammation in the cochlea.  Also avoid foods that can cause inflammation like salt, caffeine and alcohol.
    • Posted

Hi Jim, 

Thanks so much. Yes, I am meeting with an ENT tomorrow, so I will ask them about that steroid. 

Also, thanks for the tips with the food/alcohol/caffeine. Greatly appreciate it. 

• Posted

Tim I have Tinnitus for 26 years caused by work accident left ear drum damage

rirht one OK,  bad for Concentration, Sleeping, Reading watch TV and other

I was an Electrician loss of concentration to trace faults on diagrams, I now use a Masker put in to ear same as hearing aid with no wires (batteries) I dont nee to use when sleeping it is a great relief but will not cure if need more info my Email [email]brianhennigan408@yahoo.com.au[/email] best of luck Tim

• Posted

I Brian,

Thanks so much for the advice. The ringing has definitely subsided, but still have some moderate ringing at times. The doctors believe this is just a short thing, due to the noise level my ear was exposed to, but should recover within the next week.

All the best,

Tim. 

• Posted

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry to hear about the ringing. I personally don't have any experience or first hand advice on what you've had but given your age I wouldn't think this is anything to be worried about in terms of long term.

ENT should be able to prescribe something for you. I've had bother 6 weeks now for a flight I took. By avoiding salt on my food, complete avoid of alcohol and avoid of caffeine, I'm convinced it has something to do with the noise reduction I've had.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advice. As you assumed, the ENT does believe this will be a short term thing, and will most likely, be healed within the next week or so.

Obviously, if it doesn't by then, then I will be a bit more worried. The noise level I was exposed to was from a .308 cal riffle, that someone shot very close to me when I didn't have my protection on yet. 

All the best,

Tim 

• Posted

Tim I have tinnitus for 26 years and have been able to reduce but with the damage to my middle ear drum will never be able to cure, if you return your ear damage with my expreience in ear hospitals I will explain
  • Posted

Tim...you are so young hang in there...I will tell you my secret and hopefully it will help you too. I wont go into details on how I discovered this but it has brought me great relief....do a hand stand....or if it is too difficult...lean over the arm rest of the sofa and carefully bring your head down to the floor...allow your bad ear to fell full of blood or feel the pressure of the weight of your gead over it...hold that position for a couple of minutes...the carefully come up and see if you can equalize if needed...and hopefully tinnitus will stop for several long hours...try it
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear you have tinnitus...perhaps you can try what has worked wonders for me in bringing me great relief...an inverted position...bring your head down and your feet up...like a head stand...or even better...lean over the arm rest of the sofa and carefully bring your head down closer to the floor...hold it there for a minute or so...allow it to feel full...with the blood or the pressure of your weight....carefully come back up...and if you need equalize a bit...and hopefully your tinnitus will be gone...for several hours anyesy...good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.