Tinnitus/ototoxicity?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on here before trying to find out what is wrong with me and am still searching after about a year. My tinnitus gradually crept up on me, thought it was normal at first but later realised it wasn't. I get migraine headaches and dizziness. More recently I've had a really bad head cold so I've been taking extra aspirin, paracetamol together with my regular citalopram and bendroflumethiazide. I've noticed the tinnitus gets louder after taking each of these meds and the dizziness is worse. I have suffered migraines for 30 years and have always taken aspirin and paracetamol. I am beginning to wonder whether I have poisoned ears (ototoxicity) caused by these meds over a long period of time. Blood works, heart test all Ok, waiting for an ENT appointment, taking forever. I also have neck arthritis. Can anyone help with this, I need the pain killers, don't know what to do. The dizziness (not room spinning), is the worse.

Many thanks

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here's what I think, I sustained a serious injury to my neck, when it healed my jaw was supporting the upper part of my neck, my balance moved from my ears/shoulders to my chin/shoulders the part of my neck that was undamaged was being held by my jaw and the rest of my neck above that line felt sticky, loose, when I went to get it snapped out they realigned a significant portion of my neck, this freed my right jaw from all the pressure of holding my neck my left jaw is still holding the bones up from my jaw line to my cervical spine, although there tinitus has stopped my very upper neck is still loose being held by my jaw muscles, I'm going back to the Dr to get it treated again. Just remember your body is the result of billions of years of evolution, there is no doctor with that experience, trust your body and in god, I wish you all the best of luck. <3

• Posted

Hi Rob,

So sorry that you are having to deal with all of these issues because of the circumstances that caused them in the first instance. Sounds like you have drawn conclusions from your own analysis of your injuries. I am pleased that your tinnitus is under control, hopefully your neck problems will be resolved with further treatment.

For myself, I get good and bad days, today was good. Tinnitus has worsened noticeably after taking Citalopram a short while ago so too has the weird heady feeling. I have started reducing slowly and will see what happens.

My best wishes to you.

Jayne

• Posted

Thanks jayn your a star, it helps knowing other people are going through this same hellish situation, I really think doctors should have a better grasp on what's going on and the severity of the condition, you lose yourself, that's the hardest part I used to joke alot and enjoy people's company but now it feels like no one understands and it litterally hurts to laugh so... yeah I'm going to beat it or die I don't care which.

• Posted

Hi again,

I understand what you are saying. It is difficult for people to comprehend what we are going through because outwardly we look ok, what's going on inside is what they can't see. I have given up on doing certain things that I once loved doing but I try not to give in, I make the most of the good days. Your determination and positive attitude will help you get through this, hang in there and remain hopeful for a solution. You are not alone.

Keep Smiling

Jayne ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.