Tinnitus. Sleeplessness and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm posting thi on behalf of my dad, who i'm really worried about. I'm not sure if this is the best place too post, but tinnitus is one of the main issues at the moment.

So around christmas my dad started experiencing sleeping problems. He's always slept great, but for some reason he was unable to fall asleep. He's thenn wake up in the night and be unable to grt back to sleep. This led to severe anxiety about going to bed and dosages of sleeping pills. Now, this has somewjhat improved.

Then a few weeks ago he was diagnosed with tinnitus. This is a killer for him and is driving him mad.

More generAlly though i'm worried about his mental sTate. He says he doesn't look forward to thing anymore. He's anxious and emptional whereas he's always been calm and stoical.

He thinks there's some deeper underlying problem., even that he may be depressed. He's been fir blood tests, which show he's otherwise fine.

Does anyone have experience with all these symptoms or see a link between them or potential cause?

Many thanks for Any help,

Simon

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Certainly sounds like Dad is dealing with Anxiety/Depression. Not uncommon for someone with a sleeping disorder then an onset of tinnitus. Not unusual either that he would want to isolate himself from the mainstream as things have changed for him, especially with his thinking, that's there's more to it than just the T.

You might want to discuss the possiblilty of Dad seeing a professional for some counselling. Dealing with changes in health are very difficult to not only understand but to cope with. Once the diagnosis is completely clear, conidtioning the mind would be the next step.. Tinnitus won't kill him, that's for sure. It's just a major inconvenience in life and might signal other things but if he's still on sleeping pills (high doses) that may be a key factor in the T.. You need a coordinated effort by your doctor and possibly a good psychologist.

Keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck.

• Posted

started with tinnitus myself last juneĀ  the first 6 months hardest

try with ad tablets and relax music and walking fresh air helpsĀ  keep busy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.