Tinnitus treatment with Hearing Aids

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been living with Tinnitus for over 25 years. In the early years my Dr's would tell me the only treatment was to simply ignore it. Great advice. Later I was told that there was really no cure, I could try suppliments or Herbal treatments, but really they were just more of a Placebo. Over the years I have just gotten used to it. It's there 24/7, but there are times when I don't notice it, but as soon as I notice that I'm not noticing it...you guessed it, I notice it. Mine is fairly loud in both ears, and generally constant in frequency and sound levels, which by the way is somewhere near 8.5 kHz, at around 55Db. 

Recently I've been investigating the use of  Hearing Aids to boost my slight hearing loss in the mid high frequency bands, with the addition of different sounds added to 'distract' from the Tinnitus. I believe the concept is to train the brain to hear the other sound and distract from 'hearing' the Tinnitus. Once the brain is trained in hearing the new sound, the Tinnitus is often noticed less or not at all. The idea is to then slowly reduce the sound levels of the added sound until you eliminate it altogether and your left not hearing it or the Tinnitus. 'Sounds' like and interesting idea, I'll keep you posted on how it works for me.

If you've tried this type of therapy and have any thoughts, please let me know.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Great post!

I believe I have suffered as long as you have and some days it's miserable to contend with. I always look forward to tomorrow, however, hoping for a little less in decibles and maybe by some majgic miracle, the sound is just gone. When mine spikes, it's a pretty hard pill to swallow and when it wakes me up in the middle of the night, it steals my identity and who I am.. Never fun.

In answer to your question about hearing aids. Any audiologist I have been to in the past always tries to sell me a hearing aid.  Some range in the neighborhood of 7000 dollars for the pair. I also see some less expensive ones on the internet and elsewhere. My General Practititioner believes as long as I can hear the TV, my wife's voice and talk on the telephone, there is really no need for hearing aids at this point. He feels hearing aids will only amplify the tinnitus and it will be a wasted investment. Audiologists (and sometimes salesmen making a living) refer to hearing aids, just as you do.. The other new sounds you have been missing, you will now hear and it will take you away from the concentration of the tinnitus. I guess it's really what works for you, personally.

I have heard of a new med under investigation (A101) that is in the final stages of trial testing and looks promising for tinnitus. I have also been told that the only way to eradicate tinnitus, especially if it's running tandem with Meniere's, is to get a steroid injected right in the air drum. My family doctor does not believe this is the way to go. There is also a new procedure just approved by the FDA that opens the eustachian tube. It's a procedure that's rather safe and painless and could stop a lot of the tinnitus and ETD. 

I can completely sympathize with you and others that have heard, just live with it, there's no cure and can see what a disruption this plays in day to day living. These phantom sounds are enough to drive anyone to the brink.. Keep us posted on if/when you get the hearing aids and if they helped you to the smallest degree.

I wish you the best -  may all the peaceful, quiet days be ahead of us.

• Posted

I might also add that my family doctor feels that tinnitus and hearing loss run paralell. In other words your tinnitus will peak out and then as it quiet downs the hearing loss will follow. Eventually he said, I will lose all my hearing and need hearing aids. I guess the happy side to this is the tinnitus will be completely gone. A big price however, with no hearing. 
    • Posted

Sadly I got hearing aids twenty years ago yet I still get tinnitus occasionally sad

• Posted

How did your tinnitus begin.. your post dosent say. You seem astute on the subject so I dont know what info you know. You have frequecy in your post but how did you determine those numbers? You are aware that you have hearing loss but you dont say why you have it, a natural process? There are auditory testing they can do where they have a ear plug attached to a machine and it actually will automatically test your hearing and give you a print-out of what frequencies are effected, had it done too. They did a study before and asked healthy people to sit inside a sound proof chamber (like when you do hearing tests) and tell them what they heard.. most people in a silent state still claim to hear some type of background noise even in the absence of any external sound which is the same reason deaf people can still experience tinnitus. If your hearing loss is a product of natural decay then perhaps the hearing aid treatment could be effective for you then.
    • Posted

Thanks for your interest. My hearing loss appears to be caused by environmental issues. I worked for many years in a Dental Laboratory, with constant exposure to high frequency hand tools, specifically air turbine tools.

I've had Tinnitus so long now, I don't remember what is like to not 'hear' it. During testing for hearing loss we ran many different frequencies to determine where my ringing tone was. I've since used a tone generator to compare frequencies and decibel levels to know my sound levels.

The Hearing Aid does help me hear those areas of loss better, helping me with a fuller sound all around. I do notice the difference. It will be a while before I can say if the Tinnitus will be affected in any way, but so far just hearing a bit better is worth the effort. myvwife agrees, since I now hear her better too....

• Posted

Can hear the wife better eh, sorry to hear that lol aahh wheres my wife to elbow in the rib here hehe. It sounds like your approach is on the money and I really hope that it does help. Consider checking up on that automatic hearing test if its been some time or have only ever done that manual style...though a test wont actually help you it may help you pinpoint further what frequency your working with. Good luck with everything brother
  • Posted

Thanks for posting this. I am also interested to hear the results of this tinnitus treatment. Hope you get some relief!
  • Posted

Hi Jorock, How are you? Your post is intersting.. Did you try the Hearing Aid? How is it working for you?  How did you get the hearing aide. Did your insurance cover it. I'mthinking that health Insurance dosent cover it. Can you tell us how your doing with the Tinnitus and the cost of the HA? 

Thank you 

I hope this finds you doing better!!lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.