Tinnitus unbearable noise!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been dealing with a different tinnitus noise since my last Menieres attack in mid February. I have had the whoosing sound in both ears and that continues. The only way I can describe this new noise is like an "electrical" sound:.It is on my right side, where I have a little bit of hearing left.(no hearing on left side anymore)

This new noise is gradually getting worse. It fluctuates up and down and if I cough,yawn sneeze of bend down it is so loud that it feels like my head will explode . Most of the time it is constant. It is to the point where it is unbearable at times. I am not able to really rest and sleep. I asked my doctor yesterday for any medication to help me and she said that there is nothing for tinnitus. 

I just don't know what to do. It is "draining" me completely. It has gotten worse the last 2 days. 

I was wondering if I should ask to see a neurologist to find out if something else is going on. 

Any suggestions?  I really need help with this

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I take 2 diazepam a day it helps me
  • Posted

Oh Liz I am so sorry that this is so severe for you. I certainly would see a neurologist. We all have tinnitus with varying degrees of discomfort but yours seem like a nightmare. You need to find a solution that will help you rest and sleep at least. I'm on a herbal sleeping tablets as the prescription sleeping tablets made me zonk out but really affected me the next day. First step I suggest is getting piece of mind that nothing sinister is going in, hence neurologist. Good luck and let us know how you go. 

• Posted

Hi Luz

i have had unbearable tinnitus in the past like a jet engine in my head so I really feel for you. Stress is a huge factor for me but I know it’s impossible not to feel stressed with the noise and sleep deprivation. I used to wonder how I could cope with it permanently and I would definitely have to be medicated. Sleeping pills and maybe antidepressants just to try and get on an even keel. Have you ever tried betahistine?  Siince I have been on a higher dose my symptoms have subsided and consequently the tinnitus has too. I am on 24 x 3 per day. I also have severe hearing loss both sides due to genetics so Meniere’s is an unwelcome complication. My hearing aids still work well for speech but I struggle in noisy situations. Music is rubbish of course. I also experience increased tinnitus when yawning and stretching which a bit weird. It sounds to me as if you need a more sympathetic gp to help you cope with this. Something else I have researched is cochlear implants. There is evidence that this can help with tinnitus as well as restoring hearing. 

• Posted

Hi Luz.  There is some good advice here from Chip, Marie and Christine.  I use Ativan (Lorazapan) 0.5mg up to twice/day.  This tends to soften the tinnitus and reduce stress.  I also take Betahistine and 50mg of Dyazide (diuretic) which have controlled the vertigo and help with ear fullness and tinnitus.  Please consider seeing a neurotologlist and an ENT doctor that has sub specialty in inner ear diseases.  There are many options for you that might help with tinnitus and hearing.  Try to be as aggressive as you can in seeking out the solutions that will help you.....
  • Posted

I agree with everyone else. I am waiting for a neurologist appointment since being referred by ENT but haven’t yet got even a date. May have to go privately if it’s a long wait. It took ages even to se the ENT. Good old NHS
  • Posted

Hello Luz,

I send private message please check... 

• Posted

Hi luz54475,

It's the first time I read that someone is hearing a noise and describes it as "electrical".  I have this, it seems to happen every time I move my eyes.  I also called it a "zoom zoom" noise.  It is driving me crazy, have had it for 2 weeks straight.  Trying to get lots of rest, but it does not seem to want to go away.  So it's a combination of Tinnitus and the electrical shock sound when I move my eyes.  I am planning on sleeping full time for the next two days, this way I will not have to put up with it!

I feel for you, but am kind of happy I am not the only one hearing this.

• Posted

Hi france22804!

Sorry to hear you are going through that bad tinnitus, "electrical". I still have it badly in my right ear ever since I had the last Menieres attack in mid February.. It fluctuates so much!

Doctors continue to say to me that there is "nothing" for tinnitus. I am sleeping a little better. I figure I am getting use to the noise being there. I try not to make sudden head movements because that's when the noise gets really loud!  One doctor suggested using headphones with white noise sounds to help with the noise. Haven't done that yet.

Apparently I may be a candidate for  a Cochlear implant to help with my hearing. The audiologist informed me that this may have no effect on my tinnitus but might help drown out some of the noise or could make it worse!  

Sometimes I just wish to have a little break from the noise so I could feel like I could really "breath" and relax.  Still praying that it might happen,

Hoping you get some relief from your tinnitus.confused

• Posted

Hi France. I have experienced a wide range of tinnitus noise since having Meniere’s ranging from mildly infuriating to downright scary. The noise you describe sounds like pulsatile tinnitus. I have it sometimes when going from vertical to horizontal at night and usually stops after ha

l an hour or so. Mine sounds like an electrical hum accompanied by a noise like an old motor bike. I try to relax and tell myself it will stop soon and go back to my background humming. For me stress is the biggest cause of an increase in tinnitus. I was interested to hear you are planning a two day sleep - I’d love to know how!

• Posted

try and find someone with a medical marijuana Rx and see if they will buy you marijuana in liquid form. Also try Atlas methods (see if there is any in your area), it seems to be working for me.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your suggestions! So the liquid form of the marijuana? That just might help! Has it worked for you and how much do you suggest I take?  Never tried it before.

I just started with a nucca chiropractor who uses the Atlas method in Los Angeles Ca..  He has treated patients with Menieres  successfully. It is such a specialty practice that they are hard to find. I am very hopeful.

I really appreciate your input tvbonniebiggrin

• Posted

i actually got the weed liquid to help me sleep but it is helping me with my symptoms too. I use a dropper in a bit of water under my tongue for a minute, then I swallow the liquid. Yuck. I sleep pretty well. Find a dispensary and ask what they have for your symptoms Yes, Atlas is rare but my friends actually own the only practice in the DC area so I got lucky. It has been a great source of relief. I am really amazed there is not more info about the disease. Why are there no more studies and research? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.