Tinnitus worries & stress - I would love some advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am 37 and have severe health anxiety. I posted in the anxiety forum a month or so ago whilst I was waiting for a private "unnecessary" MRI scan as a result of ears ringing and dizziness.  The scan came back 100% clear.   My worries of tumors have subsided although the ringing in my ears persists.   My stress levels are crazy high as I contemplate a house move (with several specific problems assocaited), I have issues at work, and family life with two young kids is proving generally hectic.   I have read online that when stressed, tinnitus is more noticable, especially for people such as myself with a low tollerance to ailments. 

My worries are now regarding this being a progressive condition.  I  have seen so many blogs written by people who simply "cant cope" with the levels it has reached.   My GP suggests that the opposite is more likely to be true, ie that it improves or my brain gets used to it and notices it less. 

The girl who cuts my hair has very similar symptoms and she too has just been told to live with it and she has good and bad days - stress being a consideration.  Can anyone suggest coping mechanisms and how to avoid the flare up days!   I'm quite new to posting in forums and hope this has come accross ok?   I would massively apprecaite any words of reassurance that anyone can offer.  Given that I am selling a house, I cant realistically remove my stress in the near future.   When stress eventually subsides, should I expect that the ringing does too???  Thanks for any comments.  

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Mark,

you have add lots of good advice included with your post.I have had it for years tried everything. I think taking NSAIDs or aspirins has caused mine. Lived on them for years. 

I think the best advice is knowing your triggers everyone's is different. 

Take me it one day at a time!😊

• Posted

All I can tell you is take one step at a time.  The sun comes up everyday reguardless of what you do.  Beat this with your mind.  Patrick Easley
  • Posted

Have you been to ENT? You did not mention this.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hi, thanks to you all for the comments.   Yeah I guess "beating it with my mind" is the only way forward, although sometimes it is easier said than done!

Yes I have been to ENT who checked my hearing, ear pressure and balance.  

Today is a good day but the last three were bad ones.  

Thanks again for the comments - I do appreciate them.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.