Tinnutus

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have never had trouble with my ears, only when going on a plane with the pressure.

I was taken ill with a irregular heart rhythm at the end of January.The consultent put me on beta blockers.Within 24hrs my ears started to go funny.At first I did not think it was the tablets.I looked up about them and it said it could cause ringing in the ears.

I changed to another tablet but the damage had been done.I had tinnutus and it got worse as the weeks passed.

I get buzzing and thumping,it is worse in my left ear.It can make me feel dizzy too when it is bad.

Nothing wrong with ears as I have had them checked with a doctor.This week having a hearing test done.

So annoying it was started because of this medication.Another thing to deal with on top of other health issues I have to manage.

Has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I started taking Ziac and Losartan early this year for high blood pressure.  I've had tinnitus for 2 and and a half years.  I feel the medication has helped my tinnitus.  

What pills are you taking? 

• Posted

Hi Julie - I'm sorry to hear about your run in with tinnitus. Many, many medications either cause tinnitus or increase it's intensity. I believe mine was caused (in part) from large doses of amoxi clav both orally and intraveneusly. I have not had one medication actually help my tinnitus. I also deal with Meneier's and hyperacusis, which is miserable. 

Hopefully, yours, is temporary. I'm thinking if you have tinnitus your hearing test will show hearing loss. They usually run parallel. Not a doctor by any stretch but I've dealt with my tinnitus and associated ear problems for the better part of 30 years. So many things have an effect on it from weather and barometric pressure, to salt intake, to loud music, flying in airplanes, etc, etc, etc. 

I wish you the best and keep us posted. I'm sure yours was caused by the beta blockers but again, hoping it's a temporary issue for you to deal with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.