Tiny blood clots, a year and half after TURP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greetings my friends, I'd like to read what do you think about my problem.

I had a bipolar TURP 15 months ago. The only problem with that was an urethral stricture 1 month after the surgery. I had an internal urethrotomy and everything has been ok since then.

But 2 weeks ago, after a digital rectal examination (DRE) for colon issues (doctor pressed really hard), I started to see small blood clots in my urine. They're really small (less than 1mm), and the urine looks transparent. I saw 2 o 3 during the day urinations, and the next day no more, but I started to see black scabs (really, really small too) and sometimes what it seemed to be some kind of tissue. It only lasted 3 days, but the next week it happened away, and this week too.

Most of the time my urine is clean, but from time to time I see these particles (red clots, rarely) black scabs more often). Sometimes I have to use cell phone's flash light to see the particles in the water (really, really small). The semen is clear by the way and sex starts a new cycle of clots/scabs.

Of course, I went to a urologist to be tested, and he ordered some exams. Urine analysis was perfect, except 1-5 red cells/field (I had clots, so I had to have hematuria, but it's less than expected). Blood work perfect. No bacterial infection. I had an Urography-CT and everything is normal, no cancer, no stones, so the doctor thinks that it's probably the prostate what is bleeding. I usually have to push hard to poo, so maybe that has damaged a blood vessel in the prostate. Because conavid-19 they're not doing cystoscopy here.

So that's all. He prescribed me dutasteride to take for a week, to stop the bleeding if it starts again.

I'd like to know what do you think, if the prostate, after a TURP, is more susceptible to bleeding, even 1 and half year later. I know you're not doctors, but it's useful to read other person's experiences. Sorry for my poor English.

Thank you very much for reading me.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I had a bipolar TURP a year ago, but no bleeding since. I had a 12 core biopsy in 2014 and had some bleeding for a few months, so the prostate can bleed for a time after any procedure. You may just have to let this one heal itself.

• Posted

I have also noticed that sometimes there are tissue in the urine (white fiber tissue). It is not often, but it scares ne a bit. Uro had not idea about it, but he didn't look concerned. Could it be scar tissue from prostate or bladder, that is healing?

• Posted

I had some tiny little grey tissues in my urine at first - that was unflushed prostate tissue that was trapped in the bladder. The prostate is full of blood vessels so it doesn't surprise me that you might be having some scar tissue breaking off and tiny amounts of blood still coming out. Unusual for over a year, but each TURP is different. Maybe your uro was aggressive. Mine was not. Anyway, the whole prostate/bladder anatomy is like a big puzzle - not easy to figure out. So, I am not surprised that your uro can't figure this one out. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It should resolve over time as the scar tissue breaks down. Just a guess on my part, but (and I hate to say this) but your uro is guessing too.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.