Tiny bowel perforation after flare up. Feeling scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just come out of hospital after a week's stay being treated for diverticulitis. I was diagnosed with this horrible condition in 2007 and since then have probably had somewhere between 6-10 flare ups. I usually manage the condition at home without the use of antibiotics but this time the pain was so intense I took myself off to A&E. They put me on IV metronidazole and cefaroxime plus IV painkillers but after three days my inflammatory markers were going up instead of down so they did a CT scan which revealed diverticulitis and a tiny perforation in my sigmoid colon. No wonder I was in so much pain! As the perforation was so small the treatment was the same, complete bowel rest and antibiotics.

Now I'm home I'm scared to eat anything solid in case the perforation hasn't healed. I ate nothing solid in hospital, only yoghurts and soups towards the end of my stay. Two doctors have given conflicting advice, one said to start eating normally straight away and the other said to keep my diet very light. I'm on oral antibiotics for another week (co-amoxiclav). I'm still getting some mild discomfort mostly in the evenings. I'm seeing the consultant in about six weeks time where we may discuss the option of a resection.

I'm 63 years old but feel about 93 at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I recently learned the stomach is the size of a fist. Much smaller than I thought. Small meals are key. Hard to do when hungry anyway from eating soups, yogurt, and the like. I gobbled down some turkey, too much at once, and paid for it later. I'm taking a special probiotic. I have to ask for it in the pharmacy. They keep it in the refrigerator, not on the shelf. My GI doctor suggested surgery and referred me to a colorectal surgeon. I went to one and then another for a second opinion. Both do robotic laparoscopic surgery, the DaVinci method. I found that most CR surgeons won't say "definitely do surgery." The second one said we'll try to manage with diet. I'm trying to do it right. I don't know what the future will bring. So scary.

• Posted

Are you in the US? My consultant said that resections were done routinely there but that trend is diminishing. The condition is treated more conservatively here in the UK. What sort of diet have you been recommended? I don't eat nuts or seeds but otherwise eat normally. Yes the future feels scary with this horrible condition hanging over us. Not looking forward to my colonoscopy in a few months

• Posted

I'm from Texas. Since my onset of DD in my sigmoid colon in 2016, as verified with numerous CT scans and a colonoscopy, I've had 6 flareups, which led my GI doc to recommend thinking about colon resection; however, the colorectal surgeons say I still have time to try to deal with the situation with diet, and see what happens in the future. In other words, with no bleeding, no active infection (temperature is normal), it's not an emergency -- at the moment. I am extremely mindful of drinking tons of water and my diet. Honestly, I'm always on guard, waiting for the other shoe to drop. The unlikly, but possible, complications from surgery are so scary.

I feel that the tide in the U.S. is going towards a more conservative approach to DD surgery unless there's absolutely no other option.

• Posted

Hello Pecan ,,,,I have this strong urge to call you nutty !!! Your stomach is as large as you ,and everyone ,makes it. If you eat small meals ,your stomach deals with it ,without it going into overdrive, and keep stretching to accommodate everything, that's stuffed into it. It does warn

you ,by making you feel uncomfortable . You don't need a DIET,, just adjust your quantities ,for life ,, and your guts will return to normal. No good being afraid of yourself, you are in charge.

Take over ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.