Tip for bladder prolapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op for cystocele repair surgery (anterior prolapse) for stage 3 prolapse. I still feel pressure and if I don't use the loo immediately when I feel the urge to urinate and  I have a more difficult time eliminating completely. I have some residual drop in my bladder remaining.  When I sit on the loo, I feel pressure like my bladder is trying to bulge out again. I have found that if I sit on the commode and lean forward slightly, it almost completely relieves the feeling that everything is falling out. I feel that this also helps me to more completely empty my bladder. Again, I am post-op with some residual drop, but I think this would help those of you that have not had surgery as well.  Hope this helps! 

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Trishp I'm only 10 post op an I'm still going to the loo 3-4-5 in the night last night was 4 times an I feel that it was not worth me me having the operation I'm managing to sort of stop mid stream which I couldn't do before , yesterday I nearly wet myself as the feeling of wanting the loo came so quick an I thought oh no !! . The pain I have was unbearable last night I had my knees pulled up as it helped with the pain.om also got pains at the top of my stomach any advice greatly appreciated
    • Posted

Should have said 10 days ago
    • Posted

Keep reminding yourself that you are healing. I know how you feel...I was so depressed last week thinking the same as you, feeling like I was worse than before surgery.

My Doctor told my husband after surgery to get me up every 2 hours during the night to go to the loo. He didn't say how long to continue, so at about 2 weeks I quit setting the alarm for a couple days. I was waking up at 3-4 hours in terrible pain having to use the loo, then couldn't completely go. I also noticed that during the day I was going every 1-1 1/2 hours,  so I decided to go back to the every 2 hours during the night and I don't have the pain, and I am able to empty the bladder more without stream starting & stopping do much.  I don't like getting up like that at night, but it's worth it not to have the pain.

I use my phone alarm, set on low with a nice melody so it doesn't wake me up too much and luckily I go right back to sleep after using the loo. Sometimes I'll go 3 hours now that I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op, but it seems best at 2.

My worst days were at the 3 to 3 1/2 post-op time. Now that I have figured all this out, as soon as I feel the urge, I head to the loo...don't wait, it won't help your healing and it will cause pain and you may pee yourself...I was close a couple times myself. Also had to go so bad a few times after not going right away that I couldn't go at all. It all feels much better now.

We have to remember this is a healing process of 6-8 weeks as I understand it. I think the reason they want us to go to the loo so much is too keep the pressure off of the bladder, thus keeping it off of the incision sights so they can heal without the pressure of the full bladder pushing against the incisions & stitches and there is much less pain that way and you can empty your bladder better.

At 2 week post-op appointment my Doctor also told me the pain in side of my stomach could be from pulling everything so tight to repair and stitch it. That pain is much better also.

I will also mention that I had no urine leakage prior to surgery and thankfully don't have any after surgery either. My bloody/watery discharge stopped at 2 weeks, but I have read many reviews where it was longer.

Just take it easy, no lifting more than 5 lbs, no bending over, squatting or standing for too long. That's where I got in trouble was standing for a few hours at a birthday party...paid for it for days. That's when I found this site and information elsewhere as well. Said not to stand more than 1/2 hour for the first 4 weeks after surgery. Once I started following all of these tips, I started feeling better. 

I really like my Doctor but I don't feel like any of them give us enough information. So thankful for this forum. Wish I had found it 4 weeks ago so I was better prepared. 

The last 4 days I have felt more like myself, but have to remind myself...I'm still healing and only have one chance to heal correctly, so I will continue to follow the tips until my 6 week post-op appointment.

Hang in there, it does get better. I'll be praying for healing and peace for you! Message me anytime!

God bless!

Trish

• Posted

Please read Kegel8Stephanie's post below about the Squatty Potty. I read reviews on "A" after her recommendation and was very impressed. I ordered one and can't wait to try it out when I get it in 2 days! You might want to check it out!

God Bless!

Trisha

• Posted

Forgot to say in my last post that using a baby step up really helped when having a BMW - eased things brilliantly! Also eating porridge and prunes too helps make things looser!
  • Posted

Dear TrishaP, early days yet, but take it steady. Have a look at the Squatty Potty - its a toilet stool that will help you to stop straining. When you have a bladder prolapse you are 3 x more likely to suffer a rectal or bowel prolapse too (that is why constipation is so bad for us, all that pressure weakens our pelvic floor)

Follow safe exercises for your pelvic floor, watch your weight (losing 10% of your body weight will strengthen your pelvic floor by 50%). You can also practice double voiding - that really will help you to empty your bladder properly and prevent you getting bladder infections. Yes, urine is sterile, but allow old urine to stay in the bladder you'll get repeated infections. D'mannose is a good natural supplement to keep your bladder health. Take it steady, check out films by Aussie Physio Michelle Kenway on You Tube - she will help you with prolpase friendly exercises for prolpase. You need to get strong and get, but also to make sure other pelvic organs do not prolpase.

• Posted

Thanks for the information. I am 55 years old and about 30 years ago I had a vaginal hysterectomy (removed uterus only) and a rectocele (bowel prolapse) repair using the muscles etc from my uterus to rebuild the vaginal/rectal wall. No mesh was used. My Doctor said that my previous surgeon did a great job on the rectocele and it is still in really good condition, so hopefully I'm in good shape as far as that goes.

i will check out the Squatty Potty. Thanks again.

God bless!

Trisha

• Posted

After your recommendation I finally looked up the Squatty Potty. Raving reviews about it on "A". Not what I thought it was going to be....I ordered one...will arrive in 2 days. Can't wait to try it out and probably buy one for my Mother who has always had problems eliminating. Sounds like a wonderful product. Thank you!

God Bless!

Trisha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.