Tips and advice needed for coming off sertraline please

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I've been on sertraline since beginning of December. I was going through a really stressful time, quite a few negative things had happened over the last few years and one final thing tipped me over the edge and I had a breakdown with horrendous anxiety. 

Anyway, I feel absolutely fine now! Everything in my life has calmed down and I've finished my counselling which has helped me move on or accept the negative things. I also feel more in control if I am feeling anxious (which is mild and rare). 

So, I've been to the doctors and she agrees I can come off them. She has suggested take one every other day for July and 2 a week for august. I'm on 50mg. 

Has anyone got any advice about coming off and what worked for them to have as less side effects as possible! I'm thinking of doing it really slowly to see if that works?

Thanks in advance :-) And sorry for the essay!

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm curious to know before I start this - how do the head zaps feel & how long do they last for? 

Does anyone know why they happen as a withdrawel symptom?

This seems to be a common side effect. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Yorkshire, the brain zaps sound like an electrict stove ignition, they are a soft clicking in your head, don't hurt and are not dangerous. Mine went on for about 3-4 wks. gradually getting less frequent as time went on. Mainly when I was up and about.that was not the worst part of getting off for me.
  • Posted

Hello, so I started my slow reduction this week, took 50mg on 4 of the days and 25mg on 3 of the days, more or less alternate days.  

Felt totally fine until now. I have mild anxiety for no apparent reason, my teeth feel strange, I feel nauseous and I'm extremely tired. 

I'm thinking of doing the same again in terms of dosage next week. I'm slightly worried as my boyfriend isn't here next weekend so don't wanna feel too anxious with no distraction! 

Are the teeth feeling strange, tiredness etc normal withdrawel symptoms then? Bit surprised as I've hardly taken much less then normal!

• Posted

Hi Yorkshire,

Just looking back on your posts. Its interesting all the different advice doctors give to come off these meds. My doctor advised 2 weeks of 1 pill every second day and then just stop!!! After 5-6 years on meds huh!! ( I am weaning off 50mg also). I have done that without much change, although I had headaches and tiredness, but this is one of the reasons I have decided to come off them as I suspect these are side effects of the meds. I have now decided myself to take 25mg every second day for another 2 weeks after doing some research on the best way to wean. I am thinking I will then go to 12.5 for another 2 weeks before stopping completely. I have always felt very tired and lots of yawning on these meds but must say even more so this past week. I definitly think the tiredness is part of the withdrawal and as for the teeth I am not sure. However I do get achy jaws which may be similar as it is related to the mouth. I can only think that because you are weaning off whatever you experience is normal for you and will not last. I do know that some people who experience anxiety do feel strange sensations in their teeth sometimes so I would not worry about it.

I dont like to give advice here, but just to let you know I am on the same road as you now and feel free to unload or discuss your issues here.

Stay strong Yorkshire, this too shall pass! Am getting very fond of that saying cheesygrin

Alan

• Posted

Thanks Alan! We shall keep comparing notes! :-)
    • Posted

Haha! Ok cool! You may win as I'm hoping to be off by Sep, we'll see tho! :-)
    • Posted

There you go! A little humour goes a long way :-)

Take care Kid!

• Posted

Good luck with your journe . I am coming down from 100mg. I was advised to use a nutmeg grater to scrape by an odd number the tablet increasing the scapes by 2 a week until there was next to nothing left. It has worked so far. 3months with no effects
    • Posted

Hi, I've just read your reply to a post about coming off sertraline from 10 months ago. I wondered if you continued to come off the medication successfully? Initially you mention the nutmeg grater to shave off the tablet and after 3 months you had no withdrawal, this is very encouraging to read!! I'm on 100mg, have been for 18months, and I would like to be meds free but am concerned the panic attacks will return... Anyway hope all is well.
  • Posted

Hi Yorkshire and everyone else smile

I too am coming off Sertraline, and have had some of the same-ish experiences... 

I started on 50mg in December 2014 and went to 100 after the usual first four weeks. After about 7-8 months at 100mg, my mood greatly improved and I was tired of feeling super apathetic, spaced-out and lazy (I mean, my house was a mess and forget daily showers, I couldn't be bothered) so I went back to 50. For about 3 weeks now I've been breaking them in half to get +/- 25mg daily, and today is the second day I've gone without any at all.

Now, today I feel light-headed and groggy, so I am thinking I'm rushing things a bit so I'll try a (small) 25mg chunk tomorrow morning. I like the idea of the nutmeg grater the last person mentioned actually so may try that too depending on how I feel tomorrow after taking 1/2 a 50.

Overall this drug did great things for me, I couldn't be happier (I got a little chubby but whatever). At first they gave me Paroxetine and I thought I would tear my hair out from it, Sertraline was way better.

I'll be checking in with my progress and to see how everyone else gets on too. ice to find this group.

• Posted

Just do it slowly I'm having bad nights sleep,hot and cold flushes ,and anxiety.i guess we just have to keep going

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.