Tips for avoiding hair loss on Methotrexate

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have RA and have been taking Mtx for about 6 years. I take a high dose folic acid supplement every day apart from the day I take my Mtx. I am also on Humira injections every other week.

When I ran out of folic acid a few years ago I lost masses of hair and (at the time) hadn't realised that was why I had to take the supplement. I have been diligent about it ever since but I still lose more hair than is normal and always have sprouty new hairs like a mini mohican! My hair isn't thin anymore as seems to regrow rapidly but it's not nice like it used to be. 

I have read on this forum that some of you are taking additional supplements such as vit D and calcium and was wondering what combination people have had the most success with. Any other tips gratefully received as well. 

Many thanks! 

4 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for the info! Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Hi I've just joined this forum looking to see if I could get any answers

I've just started on methotrexate 3 weeks ago and the amount of hair loss is completely freaking me out , as a hairdresser I know this isn't normal ? Is there anything I could do to prevent this ? I've emailed my RA nurse to see what she says ? Thanks Katie

• Posted

I have taken mtx for about a year folic acid 1 a weak my hair has fallen out all over my body great saving on razors but hair on head a nightmare so much so I have purchased a wig. Lucky it looks great and not many have noticed it is a wig. I dont think mtx helps all pain but I keep being told as I have fybromialgia most of pain is that. Not convinced. I have heard of bialogicals but that treatment has not been offered I will ask next time I see consultant. I use a wheelchair because of pain when walking. Other thing I am over waight but I have asked for help and I am told to eat less. Well thats my rant but it has helped to find I am not only person who has hair loss.
  • Posted

Hello Everyone smile

I found this discussion because I googled" will i still lose my hair if I take folic acid while taking methotrexate" So it sounds like my answer is yes sad I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer stage 2b in 2014. I have completed all of my treatment an am cancer free now smile However, now I have been told I have the start of Rheumatoid arthritis and they want to treat it "aggresively" ( scary words ) with methotrexate. When I asked the side effects, she said hair loss. My hair has just gotten to where I can go without the wig. Now I'm going to go back about 5 years. I suddenly started losing handfuls of hair for no reason A co-worker told me to go to health food store and get two things- Silenium and iodide to take together. It worked. My hair stopped falling out and regrew some.

Now back to current. My hair is growing beautifully I rubbed coconut on my head each and every day. I just recently had to stop, it was making my hair greasy. I still use cocunut oil on my skin every day ( entire body ) I have also been taking hair, skin & nails for the past several months. But now I was hoping to keep from losing it all AGAIN. I feel like I really can not go through that again. It is depressing sad by the way, I am only 50

• Posted

Hi , congratulations on being all clear of cancer ! What relief And strong lady you must be !

I'm 29 and started methatexate and taking 5mg a day folic acid I've lost so much hair it's so upsetting and as I'm a hairdresser this has completely freaked me out !!

My rheumatoid nurse has told me to stop as I said I can't let any more fall out !!! I take sea kelp which I think has helped and now I've bought something called Nixon guaranteed 30' day notice able hair growing back but not sure if it works I only purchased yesterday but I will try anything !!!!

Good luck and I hope you feel better x

• Posted

Hi Katielou2013 and hot37519.

I totally understand how distressing the side effects of methotrexate are on our bodies, especially the hair loss and breakage. I am 66 and diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis. For two years I had been on a weekly dose of 20mg Methotrexate + 5mg Folic acid 5 days a week and have been suffering the same as you with hair loss and breakage. On the positive side, it has reduced the pain and issues that I was experiencing with the RA before I started taking Methotrexate. About 6 weeks ago my Dr. reduced the Methotrexate to 15mg a week + the same 5mg of Folic Acid 5 days a week. Lo and behold the hair on my legs and underarms has started to reappear. I also "feel" my hair is falling less and the broken hair is getting longer. While it seems the dosage may make a difference, I wouldn't suggest changing your dosage without consulting your doctor. I have always had very fine hair and have been taking Hair, Skin and Nails for many years, but I do believe it helps with the problem. Good quality shampoo and conditioner also helps, and I have just bought the OGX Niacin and Caffeine range. I hadn't heard of the Nioxin products katielou2013 is trying so would like to know if they work for you. Good luck to you both. Remember your hair is just a small part of you, your overall health and vitality is more important.

• Posted

Thanks for your post ! I know it soundss vein but appearence is my shield and I lack in confidence and ever since I become poorly my confidence is hitting rock bottom !

I have felt a lot a better since starting methatexate but my hair is falling out so bad I have patches so nurse told me to stop !! I've just bought nioxin so we shall see !! Thank you again !!

• Posted

Hello Jenny

Very interested to read your experiences with Methotrexate.  I am in the same age group and have been taking it for 5  years for RA and during this time suffering with the hair loss and breakage problems and other side effects.  The last year the dose has been reduced from a weekly dose to 2 weekly which I am so pleased about as you can imagine.  However the side effects have not reduced as I had hoped but we all respond differently and on the plus side I am far more active than I was before. Anyway I have bought the hair products you mention in case they make a difference.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi. I didn't know my medicine was causing my hair loss. I just thought I'd Google it to see. I was really surprised. Iv been on my meds for almost yr. . I just kept seeing hair on bathroom floor. Or on my clothes. I have real thick hair it's feeling thin. Its been good to be able to read everyone's blog. Thanks everyone for info. God bless.

• Posted

So I'm a pharmacist and I too am on MTX 10mg weekly and the amounts of hair that is falling out is alarming!!

Spoke to my dr about it and she said let's try this.. An oncologist suggested it to her, after all MTX, is a cancer drug, this drug is to replace folic acid and is taking 12 hours after MTX dose and it's once weekly. It reduces the side effects of MTX 10 folds over FA, this drug is...

LEUCOVORIN

I'm starting it tomorrow.. I'll keep you posted

Kimn

• Posted

Hi kimn20

This sounds good !

I'm on 15mg a week and 5mg folic acid daily !

My hair is getting thinner and thinner where I have patches I've being in this 7 weeks ! Now my consultant has said to stop it ! Do you know how much after stopping methatexate it will take for my hair to stop falling out ? As I'm writing this I've just washed my hair in tears as hair is everywhere !!! I'm self conscious as it is now with this I feel sick thinking I'm going to end up with no hair at this rate !!

Thanks Katie

• Posted

Hi Kim! I am a pharmacist too! Read your post and was wondering if you have noticed any improvement with leucovorin. I

Am on 10mg qweek as well. Tia!!

• Posted

Hi

I have really appreciated the info on this page. Did the leucovorin work?

Thanks

• Posted

I have used  methotrexate for many years (8)  and the hair loss got lots worse when I was up to  9 of the 2.5 mgs tabs a week.  I have been able to cut down to 7 per week by using a  specific generic manufacturer . ( tabs are yellow and tapered). This manufacturer's work much better for me.

I tried Leucovorin-  and  like others have said everyone is different. For me Leucovorin  made the hair loss much worse and my hair dry and brittle so went back to Folic Acid high doses.

I found a vitamin with every possible vitamin  for hair called HAIR GROWTH ESSENTIALS. I used to take Biotin- but this vitamin really helped- biggest problem is the tabs are huge- but nicely tapered so they go down okay.

With these and very gentle hair care products I have re-grown a lot. I use Kevin Murphy REPAIR ME products and never brush or comb when my hair is wet.  It usually takes me 3 months to see the difference in anything I do which is very Frustrating.

Problem is there is no one answer for everyone- we just have to keep trying to see what works.

Stephanie

• Posted

It was a combo of things that got it under control.  I also added 5 mg methylfolate, biotin and use a biotin shampoo.  I’m very satisfied that hair loss is no longer a problem.  
    • Posted

I am going to see if the RepairMe product helps.........I am not losing as much hair as I was but he cut my MTX to.04 shot once a week. I'm about to up to.05 I am flaring up to badly on that low of dosage.

I'm having a lot of gastro problems (before lowering dosage) also & when on the lower dosage that was better. It may be time to get off the MTX it has been over 12 years & try something else. So frustrating...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.