Tips for coping with Achalasia

Posted , 71 users are following.

Helpful Tips Collated from Fellow Achalasia Patients

NB These have not been vetted by the medical profession but are what have worked for some of us

Tips for coping

1Eat smaller meals more frequently.

2Eat slowly and chew well

3Don’t eat too late

4Beware of eating when feeling stressed

5Eat fairly moist food

6Lifting the chest and taking a deep breath also helps.

7Keep a small bottle of water handy in case one’s oesophageal muscles go into spasm when out and about

8Don’t have drinks too cold

9Eat early in the evening

10Don’t drink before bedtime

11Don’t eat too many nibbles such as crisps and nuts or drink too many glasses of wine before a meal in the evening (I know one should only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine but . . . !)

12A good start to the day is a fruit smoothie using a wide variety of fruit liquidised with a live yoghurt and probiotic (actimel) and a good teaspoon of manuka honey.

13Multigrain toast with Somerset brie is also a favourite, helped down with hot water.

14With a good variety of nutrients early in the day, I don't have to worry about having to eat much else. Ironically, that then makes it easier to eat.

15Always have a drink with the meals: sparkling types can be beneficial, and gulps between every few mouthfuls help

16My most important factor in managing my eating has been drinking hot water (temperature is important - half cold and half boiling). Mastering a technique which worked for me took time, but is worth it because I am now comfortable eating out and the only downside is the copious amounts of hot water I might need to drink to get the food down. The technique involves judging how much food I can eat before I have to gulp down some water.

17Soups are a good way of eating a variety of nutrients as they can be liquidised. I include all vegetables and pulses and experiment to get something I really like, sometimes topped with cheddar cheese.

18I avoid eating skins on fruit and veg, but do churn them up in smoothies and soups

19I avoid fatty meat and eat mostly chicken, fish or vegetarian dishes. I can even manage pizza if I drink enough hot water with it.

20I also avoid spicy food and drinking alcohol with food is very difficult.

21Salads are best eaten with lots of dressing and in small quantities.

22Be aware of the types of food you personally need to avoid, and what can be digested easily.

23I avoid the following:-

a) Large lumps of meat. The only meat I consider eating is mince usually in the form of a cottage or shepherd’s pie.

b) Dry chicken can be a problem. Meat in a sauce or casserole is usually better than anything else.

c) Pasta of any sort.

d) Too much bread. I can eat crackers better than bread.

e) Potatoes can be a problem if boiled but thin french fries are not too bad.

f) Rice. My first bad experience of Achalasia was with a dish of paella. Fried rice is better than fluffy stuff.

g) Spotted dick or similar dry sponge puddings are avoided.

24Food that gives me little trouble:-

i) Soup

ii) Fish - salmon or battered cod seem good.

iii) Salads

iv) Stir-fry food is usually fine

v) Funnily enough quiche or similar is usually not a problem

vi) Cheese with crackers

vii) For dessert ice cream is best.

25Basically it seems it is the consistency of the food which has more influence than anything.

26Don’t eat too much bread in one sitting and eat good quality bread rather than soft white bread which is particularly bad for blocking the oesophagus

27Avoid very dry food like falafels, raw cauliflower, raw carrot

28Best foods were weetabix, readybrek, custard, sponge puddings and mashed potato. . Not the most healthy range but I was advised by the dietician at the hospital that it was more important to keep my calorie intake up than eat healthily.

I was prescribed Fortisip milkshakes which were a lifesaver as they are full of vitamins and nutrients.

29Probiotic pills/Acidophilus powder as a major part of immune system is in one’s gut

30Echinacea and Manuka honey to boost immune system

31Sleep propped up with lots of pillows (before the operation) to help stop food and drink coming back up at night

32A bed wedge is a useful alternative to lots of pillows to keep you propped up at night.

33I always finish the day with a good teaspoon of manuka honey and lemon juice in hot water. This is after I have ensured as much as much as possible that all food has been washed down. That way I am left with manuka honey in my oesophagus overnight. I haven't had a cold for the last couple of years so I think it might have given me some protection.

34Relaxation helps to avoid spasms and pain with the sphincter.

35I find yoga helps as does drinking hot water to relieve the pain.

36Pain from the sphincter can be avoided by warming up cold food and drink in the mouth first before allowing it to go down. Avoid letting the chest get cold. Cold wind can set up pain. |I wear a scarf even if I don't feel cold.

37Talk to other Achalasia sufferers. It helps so much to know you’re not alone!!

7 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have a question.  I have recently been diagnosed with achalasia after about 18 months of symptoms.  I thought it was GERD!  Anyway, I have been put on pureed foods now for almost a month, and I expect it will be another month before I can have surgery - and then I expect another week or more of the same diet.  

So - here is my embarrassing question - how does one avoid constipation?  I am making smoothies that include prunes and have resorted to laxitives, but does anyone have any suggestions? 

• Posted

Some suggestions are good but I could eat chips or fish battered as for alcohol i know that would be impossible I think people are different cause a meal right now seems impossible.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed yesterday with achalasia at the age of 78. I've been suffering for over 18 months and, like others,was initially told I had acid reflux. I have to lose some weight before my surgeon will consider an op, but thank you for all the tips I've been reading here. Obviously it is going to be trial and error with diet, but I have learnt that I need to drink much more with meals.I'll be looking out for any more suggestions! One thing the surgeon said was very logical-gravity helps food to go down, so walk around after eating. Too much sitting makes things worse.
  • Posted

Hello

I have had two operations for achalasia. First in 2008 and again in 2014. Things did improve but I still suffer with sickness. Is there anybody else that still gets violently sick quite frequently? My gastroenterologist said its just me! Sometimes I am ill for two days. I would love to know I am it alone and if anybody has found a remedy.

• Posted

Thank you for the tips. This so helpful I was diagnostic with achalegia one year and a half ago, But I been having problems since I was 18 now I'm 22. My diet has change a lot but this give me more ideas to what i should include in my diet. The food that most affected me was pork, chicken and beef. I like to drink hot milk with my meals it help me to swallow my food and it reduce the pain while you eat. Fish, speially salmon does not give me that much of problemc when I eat.

Thank you for you advice.

• Posted

I was advised not to drink anyting to cold or to hot after my Hellers two years ago and I've stuck to it with no problem. Cold/dry chicken or meats in general can be challenging. Sparkling water was also recommended when eating and that has worked well also. Eating by sing up in a hard chair will eleviate the problem swollowing for the most part. Remember what worksk for someone doesn't necessarily work for others. Good Luck, 
  • Posted

You put a lotof thought and work into your experiance with the condition. Thank you so much
  • Posted

Does anyone ever suffer with pain radiating around to your

midback?

• Posted

So these posts are helpful, but has anyone experienced the food not passing into the stomach for a few days!

I have struggled with achalasia for about 5 years! I had been able to deal with it, chewing my food a long time and taking little sips of water to wash it down! A few months ago I had a episode where my food was stuck and i tried to wash it down, I got this excruciating pain in my chest, that lasted a long time! Since then I have occasionally not been able to get food past the sphincter and into my stomach!

It's going on three days now that this is the case!

I am working with doctors to get the Heller operation, have had an endoscopy, have appointment for Manometry test in January and will schedule a esophogram in January too! Then the operation!

In the meantime I am hoping that some of you may have experienced the same problem and have found something that may help me too!

Thank you for reading my post!

• Posted

Well, not getting solid food down is just part of achalasia but hopefully it won't last too long. Can you get liquid or semi-liquid food (e.g. soup, ice cream) down?

• Posted

Yes, I know! My problem is that I can't get anything down! For the last three days I have tried, smoothies, teas, broths, water, juices, etc. everything comes back up! 

• Posted

Hopefully Heller's myotomy will sort you out - I had it done 30 years ago and it helped me. But in the meantime, something needs to be done about your current situation. I remember before I had the operation I often had to jump and down to get the food down. It's probably a desperate solution but it was the only thing that worked for me.

• Posted

I am writing on behalf of my partner Laurence Collard. He had the Heller's operation also 30 years ago, but now he is back to throwing up... he's 74 y.o.

monsie and laurie

• Posted

Im about 8 years in from the op and still suffer regular intense pain. My do's and don'ts on food are very similar, just add a complete avoidance of caffeine. What I want to mention is that for a number of years now i have found that if i can eat a banana the moment i feel the pain coming on (first thing in the morning normally) it literally stops the pain in a matter of seconds. Banana's are used to help with cramp, so the logic is that the oesophagus spasm is eased by the Banana potassium. I carry a banana most places..weird but it works for me.

• Posted

The main comment I have to these original suggestions are a resounding YES! However, caution should be exercised always. Everyone is different and to give out blanket advice to follow is not ever a good idea. But in the main, yep this is how my dear husband copes...

He is now two years post op hellers, but needed additional botox to relax things. 

I agree completely with most of what is said, with the exception of:

1. Salad a toast are a complete No no to him

2. He adores pasta, especially moist saucy pasta and this is his staple diet

3. He loves fish and can tolerate most types

4. Stir fry to be avoided at all costs!

But in the main, yes, this is a very good starting block to try to find your own personal strategies to cope with this condition.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.