Tips for dealing with constant ear infections?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with/lessen ear infections?! Over the last 18 months I'm pretty much up to double figures with the number of ear infections I've had, a mix of outer and middle ones! I have been diagnosed with allergy related eustachian tube dysfunction and am on acrivastine antihistamines and dymista nasal spray. The last time I had recurrent ear infections 10 years ago it turned out it was being caused by granular myringitis following an operation to replace my ear drum that had totally perforated... when I call the drs to get checked/treated it is always with the practice nurses, my GP has yet to actually see my ear when it's bad, they give me antibiotics which seem to work but they just keep coming back and I am at a loss as to what to do until they decide to push through a referral to ENT! Any hints or tips anyone may have to stop them coming all the time or how to deal with them other than antibiotics would be greatly received! I did try with drops with an outer infection one time, I had 3/4 different ones and still ended up needing antibiotics to clear it!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I dont know if it will be the same for but definitely worth asking your doctor

I have been suffering with a major infection for 3 months!

After IV treatment two more lots of oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops and nothing working ...my ENT has given me acetic acid ear drops and its worked!

I thought it was never going to go away! So ask about using acetic acid drops .

• Posted

Thank you for replying! I use ear calm which I believe is acetic acid over the counter? It doesn't seem to help much although it used to help when I had myringitis...... maybe I need to ask to see if there is anything stronger I could try! Thank you!

• Posted

i also tried calm ear first and it did not help at all

this is obviously stronger acetic acid

or maybe its more pure and not mixed with anything else

try and ask ..its worth it ..i was going crazy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.