Tips for extremely dry/flaky skin on

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, everyone...I'm hoping that someone can give me some help on what to do about having extremely dry and flaky skin. It's more the flakiness that's bothering me. My clothes on the inside are completely covered with flakes and there's still plenty left on my skin.

I have PR on the majority of my body, including face and scalp. But the worst of it is on my the upper half of my body. I'm going on 5 weeks of this condition and about a week of flakes. The main concern I have is on my face. I can't even cover the redness because of the flakes. It makes my face extremely dry and noticeable when I have makeup on. Needless to say, I haven't gone out in public much. I've been using a diaper rash cream with 10% zinc oxide and it seems to be helping with the dryness and reducing the redness. I'm going to buy a stronger percentage of it later today because I saw someone on here mention it.

So I'm wondering if someone on here has any suggestions on how to take the flakiness away. I wash my face and wipe it but I can't seem to get rid of them completely. I mean, does this mean that it's almost going away?? I sure hope so! Please help! Thanks for reading! smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I am about 7 weeks into my rash now, and I have also been having flaky/peeling/dry skin on my thighs/hips/stomach. Mine isn’t dry or flaking to the point of causing extreme itchiness or discomfort, but it is noticeable to me at least. I’ve noticed just letting the spots/patches flake has helped them to heal so much faster than applying any lotions or creams. However, I have personally used aveeno daily moisturising lotion and palmers coconut oil/lotion a few times, which are both pleasant for dry skin and stay on for a good few hours.

The peeling/flaking definitely means it’s healing! :D

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding! I haven't had too much of a problem with itching. It's been pretty sparingly. I have had what feels like hundreds of tiny needles poking my skin. It's very unpleasant, to say the least. The problem with the flakes is that they are extremely noticable. I don't mind on my body, but my face is a different story. What I've been using is zinc oxide. I just got a 40% tub that seems to be helping. It's reducing the redness and appearance of the rash. I'm feeling so much more hopeful than I have been in weeks. Another thing is direct sunlight. I've been going out into my backyard every day for about 10 minutes. Im so happy to hear that the dryness/flakiness means it's healing! Thank you!

• Posted

Sunlight is definitely the main thing that is helping to heal mine at this moment in time. I’m not a fan of tanning beds even though I’ve heard they are extremely efficient in fading the rash, but I’ve been making the most of the sunshine the last couple of week and it’s helping the patches to peel/flake and also flatten out. The peeling process feels like it’s taking forever, but I’ve never been so happy to see it peeling as I know it’s on it’s way to healing, I’ve also seen several patches fade so I would continue to do what you’re doing, it sounds like it’s clearing up :-)
    • Posted

Just be aware that zinc dries out the skin. 
    • Posted

Hi! Yeah, I started using the 40% zinc oxide and it has left me pretty dry, but it seems to be helping the rash, too. It's also really hard to remove and leaves a very noticeable white cast. I haven't put too much after that. I'm using the 10% one on my face and that one seems to be good enough to help, but not dry out my skin too much.

I've also noticed that my whole body is so dehydrated. My scalp has been flaking like crazy and my hair is so dry and brittle. I've been trying to make sure to drink plenty of water, but still not enough to give my skin moisture. ??

• Posted

I had the rash on my scalp. If you google it, some people do get hair loss, fortunately, I did not. Try a Hask conditioner (Walmart carries them in pouches) they are super emollient, may help with your hair.
    • Posted

Oh, thank you for that suggestion! I'm definitely going to try it. 😊

• Posted

Coconut oil should help with that. No, it will not clog your pores and cause pimples. Use one that is made for cooking, that is usually purer and less expensive.. Hope it all heals soon!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.