Tips for 'must haves' when coming home from Knee op

Posted , 17 users are following.

I just thought I would start this as mary-ellen asked for some tips - she is going in for her op very soon:-

I will kick it off by saying some things that I did.

My hubby brought a bed down for me so I didn't have to climb.

We bought toilet seat risers for each loo - they are not expensive.

I had a table by me with everything I needed  - meds, books, water etc

I made a chart for timing my meds - You may find you are a bit drowsy with all the pain relief and what you don't want to do is over/under dose. I ticked it off as I took each med.

I had extra surgical stockings so I always had clean ones as you need to change them every day.

There - that's a start and I am sure lots of people will come up with more. I will think more, but at the mo I am in the middle of making fish piewink

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pack of frozen peas in the freezer for icing the knee.

Stock pile of magazines and or DVD's or things to keep you occupied while you are resting up.

Scar serum of some sort for after your incision is healed.

• Posted

I bought hot/cold pack from pharmacy so that I didn't ruin any veg. It freezes in two hours and can be microwaved when the muscles need heat.

A bag to carry across your body as you can't use your hands when walking with sticks.

Jogging bottoms and shorts as you struggle to wear much else.

Things to keep you entertained through the night. They help you get over the panic at being awake on the couch from 3am.

I used a rolled up bed sheet/bath towel around the bottom of my foot. I held each end in my hands and gently bent and straightened the leg to get it going.

That's enough off me....I reckon I could go on all day x

• Posted

The hospital gave me ice packs which were specially for the knee in a casing which strapped around the knee plus extra ice packs so they were always in the freezer, but yes I think you can buy them.

Lots of distraction stuff as I think someone has mentioned.

Bio oil or baby oil ready for when the dressing comes off.

Will you have someone at home. I suggest if possible you have someone for two weeks, you will need their help and lots of hugs.

• Posted

A dressing gown belt will help you get your leg on and off the bed - it will feel very heavy for some time and until you build those quads you won't be able to lift it off yourself.

A plastic sheet or a tea tray to do the bend of the knee when you sit on the side of the bed. Put your foot on it and move your leg gently back and forward to encourage the bend - they will show you this at the hospital.

• Posted

Was going to try and list sensible items but looks like others have beaten me to it so........

Alcohol.........only wen off medication!!

• Posted

Prepare for when you come home from hospital..

take up all rugs,so you dont trip..

Have plenty of ready meals,so you can just pop them in the micro.

Have a foot stool to raise your leg/or a recliner is good to have.

I found it helpful to buy a leg lifter off Amazon,only a couple of pounds,but a god send.

Bio-Oil for your scar when its healed

and good luck..xx

• Posted

I like the idea of the leg-lifter i didn't know such a thing existed so i will definitely get one of those for when i get knee two done. I used to use a towel around my foot for leg raising and also to help me gently bend my knee.

The raised toilet seat is also an excellent idea, wish i had gotten one those!

• Posted

Didn't the hospital give you one tracey? They gave me one and I bought the other two.
    • Posted

Gosh no. I was lucky to walk out with a box of paracetamol and a set of crutches!
  • Posted

Good idea lou! Mary-ellen I did a lot of cooking of one-pot meals and froze them as my hubby had enough on his plate looking after me and I didn't want to live on pizza or sausage and chips!wink

I had no idea about the leg-lifter Lou! I will look into that as I will eventually be having the other knee done! sad

• Posted

I didn't think ahead and I managed fine,  I went upstairs to my room as I felt more comfy in my own surroundings. Tv, I pad plenty of company,  I was only in for forty eight hours so wasnt moving much anyway,  at one point there was six of us in my bedroom having a good laugh,  I went downstairs once a day for exercise, I'm now three months down the line and doing everything I did before,  bend is not great but I'm not worried this is my second Tkr and the first one was manipulated and that worked 100 percent so will probably get it done again on knee two,  I hope everything goes well for you,  reading everyone's stories is quite amusing too,  
  • Posted

This is great help for newbies Elaine.

I also found a big bag that you can put over your shoulder to carry things like phone, meds and other bits and pieces in from one room to another as it's hard to carry things whilst walking with two sticks.

• Posted

Yes elainey - I had forgotten that. I am still doing that as I use a stick to go upstairs and down - always got the bag on the shoulder!
  • Posted

Same list plus I found a trolley that I could push from kitchen very useful as no husband so invaluable for meals. Internet shopping and a well stocked fridge cupboard - bed downstairs was the best thing.

Non slip shower mat. I also had a litter picker which was great for picking things up off floor when couldn't bend.

Ice bags and a flask for having drinks if on own useful too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.