Tips on bending knee please!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Four weeks today since having knee surgery. I.am progressing slowly and just had my 2nd visit to the physio where he did a deep tissue massage......ouch! Also at present I'm at a 40 degree bend on my knee and need to get to 90 BUT it feels so so tight. I have tried hot water bottle and hot bath also I do ice 3 times a day but is there anything else I could do to relieve the tightness as I'm trying to bend my knee?? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you been doing exercises to avoid scar tissue? Bending and moving are so necessary. Persevere and check on youtube for exercises which stretch and move the knee so as to stop scar tissue buildup. Stiffness and tightness are part of the process. Good luck.
  • Posted

I would avoid applying heat directly to the knee at this point in your recovery, as that can increase swelling. Continue with the ice (and perhaps doing it even more frequently) and make sure you are elevating your leg regularly. Are you able to take ibuprofen or Aleve as an anti-inflammatory agent? If your scar is healed and your surgeon says it's ok, try to find a pool that you can get in to do your exercises and stretches. That is a great help for increasing range of motion and muscle strength. 

• Posted

Hi

I don't apply heat directly to my knee, I apply to my thigh (quads) over a towel as to help.loosen the muscles. Unfortunately I can't take anti inflammatory tablets. I do need to ring my surgery this morning so I will ask about the pool. I must admit it does move easier when I'm in the bath. Thankyou

• Posted

Seems like a longtime between surgery and therapy but again, Dr's all seem to have their own ideas as to the needs of the patient. You'll be surprised what another 3 or 4 sessions will do for you.

• Posted

Sorry but it seems to be ice and physio and do everything they tell you.  I am four weeks as well so hang in there.  I got stuck on 90 but am now 115.  All the best 
  • Posted

I experienced the same problem. I did everything asked of me and it was still tight. Keep doing your exercises, elevating with ice, and take your medication. It's going to take awhile but it will get better. I'm 13 weeks post op and I just started gaining rom about three weeks ago from 70 to 100. Hang in there!

• Posted

I would not be using heat at all until the swelling goes way down . Should be icing all day. Also you have to get on top of your pain so you can move your knee. Very important. How many days a week do you have pt? I think you should be going everyday, even if all they do is minor bending and stretching, with massage and cold pack. I had trouble too but at almost 8 weeks now post op, starting to turn the corner. Good luck.
    • Posted

Absolutely correct.  "Ice, ice, baby!" - Vanilla Ice, 1991.  No heat.  The idea is to reduce the inflammation.

Took me 10 weeks of PT 2x/wk plus home exercise to go from -14 / +84 to -1 /+128.  Not fast...not easy.  Wait until the PT puts your ankle on a block of wood and then presses down on your knee...  Or...lays you on your stomach with your knee on the edge of the table and then just lets your leg hang over the edge.  Gravity can be a b#%@h.  Then when you can handle it (or even not), they add a 2-pound ankle weight...

And you thought this was going to be a piece of cake?  Really?  You have to break down the scar tissue that's forming in the knee or you'll never walk again without pain, a cane and a limp. The work must be done in the next three months...period...no choice.  Take some pain killers an hour before a session.

We've all been through this...and you'll do it too.  Be strong...kick its a$$!!!

"Never give up. Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Pt told me to warm the thigh area before doing deep tissue massage, which I have to do daily, now that is pain, feels like I've constantly got a dead leg when I touch it. I only see pt about every 9 days, I'm in UK and I'm afraid that's how it works here. My homework is deep tissue massage 5 minutes a day ( horrible) leg raises, static quads, weight-bearing and learning to get past this 40 degree bend. I don't go back to pt until next Friday!

• Posted

hi julie im also in the same boat im 6 weeks post op and still cant bend my knee past 40 degrees i also have the same homework as yourself but i cant do the leg raises my leg/knee is so heavy and weak i can weight bear with crutches i also use heat first then massage my muscles then exercise finish with ice pack 3-4 times a day i am un able to get in the bath and soak im sitting on the bath board which isnt the same im back at pt tomorrow, i go 2 times a week i cant wait until i get a bend in my knee im still swollen time will only tell good luck with everything
  • Posted

Hi thre,

?I was in hospital 3 days and at the end of that time I was at 90 degrees. Hospital wouldn't let me home with getting 90 degrees in the first 3 day Thats their policy !

?Once home I sat on a dining chair and - having carpeted floors got a small cooking tray, put my foot on it out in front of me and with my operated leg dragged it back to get it under the chair I was sitting on, gently, gently a bit more each time and I managed to increase my bend over the weeks doing that.

?Or, go onto Youtube, type in the search box Exercises to do after knee replacement surgery, there is shedloads there.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.