Tips on how to get better ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, does anyone know any tips on how to get passed this horrible anxiety ? I'm taking medication and luckily my mind is sayin i wat to get better but not sure how. I try to push through and sometimes it works and sometimes I just can't cope and give in and just don't bother doing anything. But my mum is due to start chemo soon and I want to be able to be strong and get things done . I've bought a few books to read through and trying new meds to see if can help but they all seem to give me side effects. Have physical symptoms daily , racing heart constantly, feel sick. Dizzy, shaking. Tierd , etc just want it to stop now . It's effecting my daughter to as we can't go out anymore to were she would like to as I just get so scared which I don't know why ? It's riduculius .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Be strong for yor my mum and daughter, make that your motivation in life to get by. Its hard enough living with anxiety and depression when life is easy. Its so hard to just take the easy option and give but you got to push your self to do things or you will never get better. Face your fears and take your daughter out you will feel better when she has a smile on her face.
    • Posted

I do try we managed a walk today just round were we live . X
  • Posted

Sharon, keep taking themeds.the aide effects are awful but they will goawayin abou10 days. The nervousnesspart take lnger. I am oldabout 4 weeks by othess who have been through it. I amat 3 1/2 weeks and the shaky nervousness has improved in thelast 2 days and is btter today so I believe the 4 week timeframe is pretty accurate. The maximum effect from the med takes 4 -6 weeks . So if yo canjust hang in there you will feel better soon. I was where you are a few weeks ago but am starting to feel better. I take xanex for the panic attacks while I am adjusting to the med. It's not a cure, but an aid to help keep me functional. I was like you. I found it impossible to function when anxiety got to a point. Oh, the tiredness will improve too. The anxiety takes a tremendous amount of energy from us. I hope thishelps.
  • Posted

I am the same with the side effects from tablets Sharon, on edge, anxious, can't sit down, slightly nauseaus, but my friend told me that a lot of people are the same but once you get past the first week/fortnight you should really start to feel the benefit of them, here's hoping that they work for both of us real soon. Make your mum and your daughter your focus for trying one thing each day, anxiety exhausts us so don't commit to too much, do your best to get your daughter out and about at the park on two special days a week (neednt be for hours, half and hour is a long time to a wee one) and make some special time for you and your mum. Your mum may be sick but my guess is she will still be like all mothers, want to support you with your problems too so don't feel you are overburdoning her, discuss things with your mum, she knows you best of all.

Good luck

• Posted

My mum is a great support to me and she suffers

Anxiety too so we do try to help each other . Hard work this anxiety lark I am hoping these new meds will help .

• Posted

Hi Sharon my names luke I'm 32 and suffer  with anxity for 3 years now. Although I seem to have it more under control nowadays it still rears it head now and again to try and give me a kicking! First started having panic attacks completely out of blue in summer 2012 it was the most horrific and worst time of my life, after about 2 month of this I was ready to do somthing drastic to my self so went to see my doctor who referd me to a behavioural therapist, which I felt very sceptical about(part of anxitey symtoms) after first session I left feeling like a weight had been removed from my shoulders the panic attacks stop right away for me although I still had really bad anxiety and still felt crap.after another 4 month of therapy I felt alittle like my old self and a lot more relaxed. As I've already said I still do get bad bouts and I'm still quite a nerves person at times. My advice would be to see your doc and ask to see a behavioural therapist and follow all the advice he or she gives you. It's not easy and if your like me you will really have to work at it, just keep telling your self this is something that's not going to get the better of you and something that not going to win you..perhaps your feeling really bad at mo because of what your mums is about to go through witch is really understandable try not to worry to much as when the time comes to be there for her you will and you will cope better than you think!!! My last bit of advice which was given to me by my therapist and as severed me really well is what's ever making you scared confront it head on and nothing is ever as bad as what you pecive things to be in your own mind the worst thing you can do is not confront it head on and give in because you never prove your self wrong about these worrying thoughts like the Nike advert says JUST DO IT lol. Hope I haven't gone on too much and bored you or sounded too self righteous!! All the best for future and hope your feeling alittle better soon😉😉
    • Posted

Thanks Luke u didn't go on at all . It is a daily fight and I find it so difficult due to the physical symptoms I get. I'm thinking if I can just get them under control I will be able to do more. Waiting cbt therapy one to one and

Also bought a few

Books to read to try to maybe explain things a bit more. Hopefully I'll fight this sucker and get better soon x

• Posted

Managing anxiety with cbt audiobook is very informative. The anxiety guru on podcast is inspiring. The fear is trickery from the panic attacks as they are fear induced and your body is reacting to percieved danger. Once released the symptoms can be horrible, but they are symptoms that will pass. You honestly have to emoty your brain immediately learn to belly breathe and remive your mind from the situation by observing what is happening without feeding into the anxiety.  Its really called acceptance but that in ni way means you like it, just accepting the symptoms and feelings as a part of anxiety and that they will pass. Sounds silly but it does work.there are meds you can take as well but a gp would have to perscribe them. Learn mindful breathing which will slow down your adrenaline rush and breathing. This takes time to master, be patient with yourself. Most likely in a few weeks you will be happy with improvement. Living in a frozen state if anxiety is way worse then any percieved danger or ailment and once you recognize that your mind will take the lead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.