Tips on overcoming my anxiety because of tremors

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. My name is Thomas and a I have 19 years old. I suffer from anxiety because of my Essential tremor.

-I already went to a neurologist, didn't work on my tremors

- I'm now on a psychiatrist and a psychologist to see if it calms down my anxiety.

I only get anxious when I know I will do certain positions and tremble in front of people. When I know i'll not shake i have no anxiety

Right on this moment i'm taking escitalopram 10mg a day, victan 2 mg 2 times a day and inderal 10mg 3 times a day. But victan it's not working on my anxiety.  Only Xanax works.

But besides that, can you tell some of your stories of  how you overcome your anxiety or tell me some tips to decrease my anxiety levels on a stressfull situation? 

I really need this to cheer me up. I see all my friends getting succeeded (working, have a girlfriend, car, university) and me doing nothing because i'm afraid that people will look for me in a different way. I know the trick it's to not care about what people think but I just can't do it. So some good tips and stories would be very helpful for me to bring me up and try to overcome this fear of getting out of my confort zone and getting very anxious when shaking in front of people.

Thanks in advance. smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do know a little about essential tremors because I have a friend who has them. She is much older than you though. I am sure it is very difficult at your age. My advice would be to just be up front with people about your condition. People who care about you will be understanding and considerate. The others don't matter. Good luck to you. Just try not to let this hold you back and keep you from your education and normal life.
  • Posted

I know it's hard to get through that comfort being around people and hoping you don't have an episode or just trying to explain to people is hard. I'm 27 and in 2013 found out I had a brain tumor and had to have it removed I have weird ticks and bad anxiety. I have not fully learned how to be comfortable with it but I know that you have to be comfortable with yourself be in touch with yourself and don't worry about what other people think. Everyone has a flaw but that's what makes us who we are and there is nothing wrong with it. Just stay strong and be true to yourself!
  • Posted

What I learned to do about anxiety.You see I had OCD .so I did strange patterns in public when I first entered school.If I bumped into something with my right leg I would turn around and bump into it with my left leg to even things out.How odd it must have looked to others.I became super self conscious.I watched others like you do wishing I had what was missing to make me normal.I fell to the self medication fo alcohol and drugs.So things got worse.When I tried to stop the addiction .Even stronger symptoms were waiting for me.When I felt not so good I learned to look back on my life where kind people helped me.I began to volunteer as I was always very kind and generous.There was never anything missing.Now I have volunteer awards and a community star award from health minister.I won my age group in a race series in triathlon in2014.What I am saying is I learned to focus on the goodness of others.You are unique and have alot to offer.A nurse told me this once,I didnt like cause I thought she was not being truthful.I was so wrong.Focus on supportive people.If anyone is negative or distant they just dont understand .It is not a reflection on who you are.Now I choose who I want to be around.My anxiety that was also panic attacks in public,has changed to giving motivation sessions at addiction centre.I also teach disabled people to exercise.You see there was never anything missing .Relaxation exercise if given to you should be done to calm the mind so that when you ae in public just a few breaths will help so much.Having to overcome this will make you stronger
    • Posted

I just loved your story and what you did with your life. Now,  I'm really making an effort to get out of my confort zone. I will work on January out of my country. And I play Karaoke on a pub sometimes. This new work will be something I've never done before and I don't imagine how it will be done. I only know we will be going to construct a new Port in Israel. Well, If I handle my pressure I think this 6 months of work or so can be my therapy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.