Tips on pain relief for sciatica

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I really, really need some help or tips on how to relieve the pain from sciatica, I've been suffering for about 5 months and its getting progressively worse. My doc has prescribed me Co- codamol & Naproxen but they don't seem to help & I've also just started physiotherapy.

I also work with children so I'm constantly bending down & picking up.........

So any ideas will be very welcome as I'm at my wits end with this & feel like I want to cry sad

Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Tasha,

So sorry to hear about your pain my sciatica started slowly in September 2013 and as I play a lot of tennis

I thought I had pulled a muscle,but the pain got worse.My doctor sent me for an MRI scan which you must

insist on having before you have any physio,my physio realised that something was wrong and would not

treat me until I had had one.

When I got the results L/4L/5 had deteriorated along with many other things wrong with my spine and no

physio would be able to help,do not go to a chiropractor either as they cannot cure sciatica,I should know

as I went to one that made the pain even worse.

I was on the strongest drugs the doctor could give me morphine was the next highest which of course I

could not have.

I was by now house and bed bound and saw the surgeon at the hospital in a wheel chair.

He saw the scan and noticed that I had a cyst on the spine,I was called in a few days later for an

operation,where the surgeons saw that the cyst had grown on my spine and the sciatica nerve.Which

even took them by surprise as my scan by now was over 3 months old.

This was last Wednesday and I am now out of pain and having the staples out on Monday my first

outing since December!

So please hassle them for a MRI scan tell them you are afraid that you will become incontinent that

will get them moving,but 5 months is too long for your pain.

Let us know how you get on

Best Wishes Jacqueline

• Posted

Hi all,

My first time posting on this forum. I too have been experiencing severe pain down my leg over the last 12 weeks. The pain comes and goes without any warning. To be honest the pain was manageable, but now I am in agony. Severe burning pain in my leg and a dull pain in my lower back. Any suggestions as to how I can make this awful pain go away. At the moment, I am lying in bed with a hot water bottle on my leg as it is the only way the pain is bearable. It feels, as if, each bout of pain gets worse instead of better. I lead a healthy and active life and can't understand why I am now suffering with this kind of pain. Can anyone offer me any advice how to relieve my pain?

• Posted

I went and saw my GP who referred my to a physio. She said that my pain was a common problem post pregnancy.

I have been working with a physio to increase my back and core muscles and stabilise my hips. It seems I have been working my right side harder than my left, my side of pain.

In my case, exercise and being more aware of my overall body posture whilst performing everyday activities has really helped elevate my pain. Especially having to constantly pick up and put down a small child and lifting awkward shaped items i.e. buggy up and down stairs.

Feeling so much better I might even take up running again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.