Tips on questions to ask at first consultation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Whilst i wait for my April appointment, with consultant surgeon, as I view this site and it is so helpful I wondered if there is a checklist of questions that you have found helpful or would suggest?

In other words I willl go in with my questions, I know we are all different, but is there a general list in all your experiences?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Check what they are actually going to do with your foot. What impact they expect it to have in terms of recovery time. Likelihood of success and necessity to have any further work in future. Recovery time has been biggest shock for me but this forum is fabulous for questions and reassurance. Good luck.
  • Posted

Also, ask at what stage will the stitches come out, ie how many weeks after the op, and will you be given crutches and/or a special shoe.  Ask about physio and, if there's none provided, what exercises should you be doing and when should you start them. I found that although I was delighted with my surgeon and was able to ask him all the questions I wanted to beforehand, the follow-up after the op was fairly non-existent.  I got most of my information from this site, not ideal as different surgeons have different  ways of treatment.  
  • Posted

when I went in I wanted to know how long I would be off work as I was told 8 weeks then it changed to 12 weeks as I was having 2 operations in 1 go, I did go back to work after 10 weeks which I now think was too early sad, make sure u rest for 2 weeks after, good luck
  • Posted

Having a list of questions does help you to focus,as its daunting when have consultation.

I think I had a about 2 pages of questions.lol.

Ask about mobility aids....i have a shower chair.

Also you will need help at home to do most things.

Ask how long the operation will be...

Sorry I'm talking too much now.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.