Tips to help the healing process for ruptured achillies

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just gone past 6 weeks now since i ruptured my achilles and i've been reading on the internet what people have tried in order to aid the healing process. Just wanted to know if people have tried these as Im worried i could potentially try something and re-rupture the tendon?

From what i read I gathered the following:

- Increase protein intake

- Try and go on a vibrating plate in the gym - apparenelty this increases blood flow?

- Very slow paddling in the pool (near the 6-8 week mark only)

- Massage the tendon and calf area, using olive oil

- Toe curls, leg raises

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I didn't start this until recently, but accupuncture has been helping (I'm almost a year out now) I've been running and working out almost normally for a few months now and I also didn't have surgery. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Michael,

I am 4 weeks post op on Wednesday. I have been in the aerobics pool Sunday and today. About 45 minutes a session. My physio just said to try and walk in pool. Yesterday tough, but today much easier. I am doing a few different exercises...

Toe raises on injured leg

Kicking like you are riding a bike

Kicking like you normally would doing backstroke

Walking in chest deep water with hands behind back.

Doing stretching exercises in the water

I also read about a study where subjects took big amounts of vitamin C (2000mg) daily, which had a benefit of stronger healing of tendon. 

• Posted

I massage mine with bio oil. Eight months post op and I still have a lot of scar tissue built up. I also pay a physio to massage it every fortnight.

Don't do the calf raises unless you've specifically been told to do this by your consultant or physio. If the leg isn't strong enough you risk the chance of re-rupture.

• Posted

Gotta say, I don't think you are going to be able to do leg raises. Seems way to early, and you could easily rerupture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.